Case study Locked out of Phone

roker

Great job Meteor and Vodafone between them have locked me out. A few weeks ago I rang Cust Services of Meteor to get my phone unlocked and they told me it was already unlocked, so when my credit ran down I decided to change to Vodafone because there is a local shop, so with out checking my phone first the guy proceed to change my phone over on to their system, and then found it was locked. He could not cancel and go back to Meteor so I am locked out. I contacted Meteor again who are now processing an unlock code but said it will take up to 10 day, the repair shop want €25 and it will take 3 days. It's past time that Comreg got their act together and stopped this locking practice, it can be done in hours in UK and it's illegal in France to lock them.
I have found a site that charged €10 and claim to give me the code in 6 hrs, we will see.

You always have the option of buying SIM-free phones and using whatever operator you wish.

The average consumer here isn't prepared to pay full price for a phone, like they do in France. Of course, to get their heavily subsidised Galaxy S7 for €100, they end up paying more for it over the contract period, but in general, that's what the Irish consumer wants.

You can buy any model SIM free (and full price, the cheapest I've seen the S7 for in online French stores is €515, it's €592 on French Amazon). You then get to choose a better value SIM-only plan. But if you choose to avail of a subsidised deal, then you know you're buying a locked phone that will be a pain to unlock should you choose to switch networks in the future.

Still waiting for Meteor to give me the code but I did find a site that got me the code over n

Never got the code from Meteor, I complained to Comreg who wanted me to send an official complaint to Metior.
I said this was a general complaint that affects everyone, waist of time. Previously Vodafone refused to give me a code for an older phone that I had purchased outright for pay as you go. At the time of purchasing my present phone from Metior it was the same price SIM free in Argos only out of stock, so did not get a deal from Metior as suggested

Last edited:
Back