Local planning permission in Galway?

Bluebean

Could I please ask that this thread be moved to the Mortgages, buying and selling homes forum? I think it may get more of a response there. Thanks.

hi all,

I have posted here before about this, but I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Short version of story is neither my partner or I are from Galway, but we have both lived in Galway for 10 years. Renting all that time.

Landlord is now selling our house but we cannot afford to buy it. I am totally fed up with renting, having no security etc. but I do not want to buy in any of the 'dodgy' areas either which seem to be all we can afford.

There are 4 sites up for sale in our area, all have a local requirement clause on them.

I really, really, really want to buy one of these sites and build a home on it.

I just wondered with the election coming up, would now be a good time to push candidates to 'help' us with trying to get planning permission? Or should I just forget about it altogether? Is it a total non-runner?

I am desperate to get out of the renting/having to move/total lack of security which we are in. It really is so depressing. I don't want a big house, I will comply with whatever I can get plans for. I dont plan on selling the house on, it would be our home.

Is there any way around this clause that says pretty much you must have been born and reared in a place before you are allowed to build? As I said, I really am pretty desperate at this stage.

thanks.

Last edited:
Back