Life Life assurance with pre-existing medical condition

Chef

Hi all,

I am looking at getting life assurance in connection with a mortgage.

I'm in my 30s and have a pre-existing medical condition. It doesn't affect my ability to work.

Will I find it difficult to get life assurance because of this? Is there likely to be a weighting applied if I do get it?

Are some insurance companies better to deal with in such cases? The last thing I want is to be refused cover by someone and then have to mention that in all further applications.

Any advice?

Probably go to a life broker, tell him the whole story and let him then go to the market. Depending on the condition and the seriousness thereof, there is a loading. It is not possible to give an indication of the loading without knowing the extent of your condition, but I would not recommend you posting your personal medical details here.

The last thing I want is to be refused cover by someone and then have to mention that in all further applications.

Any advice?

They don't ask that anymore. There used to be a register of all proposals that were rated but that is gone now. Anyway, all underwriters are independent and will not be influenced by the decision of another company. Each life companies re-insurers have a much greater influence.

A quick call to an underwriter will give you an indication as to whether there will be a premium loading before you fill out forms.

And yes, some life companies are better than others in getting cases over the line.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back