leaving job for fas course

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyaboutmo

hi all,
My hubby signed up for a fas course that he really wants to do a while back. He is in full time employment at the moment.
citizen's advise said that he needs to be on the live register to qualify for the course. the course starts next month so what I need to know is.
#can he go part time (ie work weekends) and Is that still classed as being on the live register. or will he need to be unemployed.
#once he gets the course (its a 6 month course), can he work extra hours or return to work if needs be.
I know its sounds crazy in this day and age giving up work and going on benefits but its a means to an end and once he completes this course he can command good money and we will be better of.
mo

Sorry but If he gives up work, or voluntarily reduces his hours, he will disallowed from claiming for 9 weeks, so won't qualify for the course.

the girl in citizens advise said he just needs to be on the live register to qualify for a fas course. I asked her did he need to be in receipt of payment and she said no

I was not able to join any fas courses until I was in receipt of benefits. I had to wait the nine weeks as mentioned above. This was confirmed to me by fas when I asked to join a course prior to the nine week period being up. This happened this year.

Phoenix

I'm sorry but this makes me so angry. The mentality around this shows you how the welfare state is getting out of hand.

A person in a paying job sees a course they like that will improve their earning potential. In the normal world they pay for that course (like I'm currently doing, 4K a year for two years) and do it part time in the evening.

But in our entitled welfare state they want to leave their paying job to receive welfare allowance, a free course and then to profit from their increased earnings. Madness. Readnig the advice above I will be lobbying for the government to increase the time someone is eligible for welfare after voluntarily leaving a job to one year.

PS. I doubt there is any course that Fas offer that could improve your earning potential.

Phoenix is correct, you are not on the live register during those 9 weeks, so you do not qualify. The person in Citizens Informaion was referring to people signing for credits or qualified adults.

Tommy, calm down, no rant or lobbying required. There is a big policy shift in activation measures being available to the long term unemployed.

Most Fas courses are not accessible to people signing for credits either unless you pay for them, you can do the night courses for free when on credits, nothing else though so would have thought receiving a sw payment was essential.

the course is in welding. when he went to fas about the course he was willing to pay for it as he really wants to do it. there is no other course available in this country that gives the same training. believe me we looked. we have explored all options and leaving and being unemployed is the only route. its only for 6 months and he will be working while he's doing it and after so we're not sponging.
mo

its only for 6 months and he will be working while he's doing it and after so we're not sponging.
mo

He will be claiming benefits, while working and attending a course paid for by the state, so how exactly does your definition of sponging go???

we have explored all options and leaving and being unemployed is the only route
No, your only option is not to do the course and keep on looking for a similar paid one.

touché. he was quite willing to pay for the course but they were having none of it. If you can offer any advise on another way of training as a welder please do so.
back to the original question as its seemed to of detoured.
is he classed as being on the live register if he works part time and claims part time job seekers?

tommy if it were a course in computers or caring they are ten a penny. this particular course in coded pipe welding is only run by FAS.

.... this particular course in coded pipe welding is only run by FAS.

Googling course in coded welding throws up lots of places offering courses:

e.g.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Deliberately becoming unemployed to get on a FÁS course sounds ridiculous given the times we're in.

All may not be rosy in the coded welding employment sector:

http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/darren-field/66/2a9/5a4

+1 for not giving up a job to go on any course. The system is totally wrong if that is what it is leading people to consider.

One thing confuses me, how could someone working part time and also claiming part time JSA, be cosidered unemployed/to be on the live register? Or am I missing something?

Because you can only claim part time JS if you have suffered a significant loss of employment, ie if your company puts you on a short week, or you are unemployed already and an only find part time work.

Although included in the live register figure, you are right they are really under employed, not unemployed. 88,322 such people on live register, making up 20% of the total.

Googling course in coded welding throws up lots of places offering courses:

e.g.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

All may not be rosy in the coded welding employment sector:

it is in Canada. which is were we plan on emigrating to. I didn't go into every little detail because I wasn't looking for opinions just some facts.

plus these courses are all in Dublin and cork. it would mean leaving Donegal. and they are for qualified welders who want to upskill. the course fas is offering would make gaining employment easier.
as I said we have looked into all possibilities.
mo

Cork Institute of Technology offers six different welding courses from Basic to Arc to Tags etc.
All evening courses, all part-time (2 to 3 evenings per week).

http://www.cit.ie/courses/eveningweekendcourseslist/#letter-W

No need to give up employment to take a course.

thank you, I do know how to use google.
Again these are 3 day courses in the opposite side of the country that are for qualified welders looking to upskill. its complicated unless you are in the business. my hubby is an engineer with welding experience but no papers. I was merely looking for facts about qualifying for a FAS course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back