Leasing instead of renting

Property owner leases to Co. Co. for the 5 or 10 years. Co.Co. puts in tenant, that's the difference.
You suggested this was for private tenants. Why would a landlord engage in a scheme like this when he can re rent a property easily enough.

The Co Co don't want to be involved in these schemes. Why do you think the RAS scheme was ceased to new applicants.

The State don't want to have any responsibility for tenants. Small landlords are leaving the market in droves and this was echoed by Threshold in an article in today's independent.

@The Horseman ?

What's your proposal?
Encourage new entrants into the market. The greater the supply the more choice the tenant has.

A small number of suppliers who control a large part of the market dictate the market. Oligopoly is exactly what's happening as more and more small landlords leave the market.

Speed up the eviction process, extend the rent a room relief to landlords. This reduces the amount of rent tenant needs to pay and at the same time allows them save for a mortgage.

Encourage new entrants into the market. The greater the supply the more choice the tenant has.
I agree. The present regulations are set to discourage even more property owners.

Speed up the eviction process,
Agree with this; it has to be made quicker and easier to remove tenants for non-payment or anti-social behaviour.
extend the rent a room relief to landlords. This reduces the amount of rent tenant needs to pay and at the same time allows them save for a mortgage.
Don't agree here; I've no problem paying tax on the income I earn.

I don't think giving more tax relief to property owners will reduce rents; what will reduce rent is more supply.

Don't agree here; I've no problem paying tax on the income I earn.

I don't think giving more tax relief to property owners will reduce rents; what will reduce rent is more susupply.
It has nothing to do with the tax you pay. If you extend the rent a room scheme then the tenant pays less rent and can save for a deposit.

Currently small landlords have little if any tax relief other than capital expenses over an 8 yr period.

Extend it to the landlord. If rent over certain amt then tax is due on all rent.
Expecting the Government to give the tenant and landlord a tax break on the same property and be against the Government building extra houses nice I like it,

the way things are going here , there is more chance of BTL properties being seized than changes to allow swift eviction of rogue tenants

the way things are going here , there is more chance of BTL properties being seized than changes to allow swift eviction of rogue tenants
They might be doing them a favor by seizing them, I own and let out two properties
I would not buy them again long-term investment is very risky even if you could evict in the morning,
There are more reasons than hard to evict why landlords are leaving the business,
getting out of a buy to let might be like getting out of the dance hall business forty years ago,

It also allows the tenant save for a deposit for a house purchase.
So your proposal is more tax relief for the property owner which you believe will reduce rental costs; and tenants are sure to save money for a deposit rather than spend on holliers and nice clothes.

There are more reasons than hard to evict why landlords are leaving the business,
And the starting point is how to keep the rental market going.

I'm in favour of the small investor.

State is not going to build housing at any major level.

Corporations buying up (or building) hundreds of houses for rental has a negative impact.

Mixed housing and mixed use blocks are considered better for environment and residential.

Everyone needs somewhere to live.

The present system isn't working.
getting out of a buy to let might be like getting out of the dance hall business forty years ago,
Dance halls might have been replaced with night clubs, but people still go to them and spend money there.

It also allows the tenant save for a deposit for a house purchase.
as already pointed out they already get tax relief and first time also get a grant, not to mention the cost of HAP,
proper planning and building around requirements not just for now but requirements in 30 years time,

Last edited:
Back