Learning Chinese

• Thread starter underwater pearl
  • Start date
U

underwater pearl

Does anyone know of any internet site that teaches Chinese? I'm heading over there for two months this summer and would like to have picked up some basic phrases before I go - how to order food, ask where bathroom is etc. I know Linguaphone do sets but I'm really only interested in travel phrases. I'm also just finished college and the flights have taken up all available funds so the cheaper the better! Any suggestions welcome....

Thanks!

I would think the first step would be to find out if Cantonese or Mandarin is spoken in the area you are going to. They appear to be very different dialects(?) - I lived in Macau and Singapore for 4 years and found the language fascinating, although quite difficult.

We found it most useful to be able to haggle in Cantonese at the markets - the price dropped dramatically when they heard we could speak a bit of the lingo!

Best of luck!

That was quick!

Were travelling from Shanghai to Beijing to Dailian, but we'll probably stick with Mandarin. Travelling with a Chinese lad so we wont be stranded at all language-wise, but I think its only respectful to be able to speak a few words. It'd make us a little bit more independent as well.

Have you checked the libarys. The Ilac centre in particular have a large selection of language tapes that one can borrow. Might be worth a shot especially if funds are low

Back