Laya Laya renewal increase

tereyk

Hi,

We are currently on Flex 250 Explore for my husband and myself and Essential Connect Family for our 2 children.

Our renewal is on 1st August, but, the monthly premium had gone up by approx. €35pm.

The increasing renewable amounts are starting to become unsustainable. Just wondering if there are any better value policies with similar benefits out there for us?

Thanks

Use the HIA site to compare your current plan and those currently being advertised for new business by the other providers.

Hi tereyk,

Over the next week, on HIA.ie/latest news, any price changes or updates will be posted in relation to 1 August 2016.
It is worth waiting until then to see if there are any special offers for children etc, or price reductions for adults.
I will highlight best options at that stage.

Snowyb

tereyk,

VHI have a list of half price offers for children from 1st August 2016.
Best options as follows;

1. One Plan Complete; price 158 per child; public,private and hi-tech hospital cover, no hospital excess in private/hi-tech hospitals.
2. One + Plan; price 137per child; public,private and hi-tech hospital cover, 125 inpatient/day case excess in private/hi-tech hospitals.
3. One Plan Starter with day 2 day; price 138 per child; just public hospital cover with some day to day cover. No private or hi-tech cover.
4. One Plan Starter; price 104 per child; just public hospital cover.
[broken link removed]

You can insure just the children with VHI, an adult is named on the policy but just the children are insured.

For the adults, a better priced plan would mean increasing the excess. Options as follows;
1. Flex 375 Explore; price 822pa; same hospital cover as before, 375 private/hi-tech inpatient excess. Day case excess 125.
2. Flex 500 Explore; price 721pa; same hospital cover as before, 500 private/hi-tech inpatient excess. Day case excess 150.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Many thanks Snowyb for taking the time to check this out for me. I will follow up on your suggestions.
Regards,
Tereyk

Just checking in to see if there is any updates on the Flex 250 explore plan with Laya since the above posts..

My renewal last year was €854. I discovered after payment that by taking out the same plan online it was €759. I asked and received a €94 refund from Laya.

I have now received my renewal by email saying that next years's subscription will be increased to €949. This is a €190 increase on the lower amount that I paid last year.

A couple of questions. Has anyone recently taken out a new Laya Flex 250 explore online and got it for less than my renewal of €949.
I will be checking this myself later but I just wanted to see if the same trickery was happening again.

Is there a comparable plan with Laya or some other health insurer, that I might take out instead of the Flex 250 explore offering the same cover at a less price?

Same old story Griz. Pay on renewal €949.08. Take out same new policy online €891.63. and this is despite the fact that they say they will automatically renew your policy if you don't tell them otherwise. So they get €57.45 extra for just automatically renewing your last years's policy.

I and my hubby have Vhi option B no excess .any ideas for cheaper policy. 40 years with Vhi. similar policy with day to day .

Jo Delaney,

Welcome to AAM. When is your renewal date?

Snowyb
thanks Snowyb

I would have liked day to day as I have never got a penny back from Vhi but they are good to pay hospital claims. semi private in private hospital cardiac orth etc.

Further to my post above I was looking to move to the Laya Flex 375 explore from the Laya Flex 250 explore.

Because I am increasing the excess I assume it is not considered a "downgrade" of my policy so I will have no new waiting times?

Also if I apply online I will get the online discount of 5% that is not available on renewals?

Any thoughts?

Back