Late B1 - Annual Accounts

Scouser

I submitted my annual accounts to my accountant last month and received my B1 for signature, for various reasons I haven't sent it back to accountant yet, they say the deadline is 23rd May but when I check on CRO site my next ARD is listed as 31 October. So 2 questions; where would they be getting the 23rd May from and how can I get it filed on Monday without penalty, if that is indeed the deadline. I'm not in Dublin. Can I do it online myself?

A 23rd deadline makes me think of Revenue, rather than CRO. What is the year end of your company?

Looking at the letter now they ask me to send a cheque for €20 made payable to the CRO in respect of filing fees due. A late filing fee of €100 plus €3 per day day for each day that the return is late will be charged if the return is not filed by 23 May.

Looking at CRO site it says I can do it electronically and have another 28 days to submit the physical files. Or did my accountant file them electronically 28 days ago and now I'm too late.

The last bit on this worries me, the bit about audit. Taken from CRO

A company that files its Annual Return and Financial Statements after the filing deadline is also required to arrange for the financial statements which have not been filed before the deadline to be audited for the current and subsequent financial years end.

Sorry for all the question. Looking at the B1 it's says unless this signature page and any attachments are received in the CRO by the following date, the annual return will be deemed never to have been filed: 23 May 16 (is 28 days after the form was electronically submitted)

Can I hand deliver it to Carlow on Monday

With the new company act 2014 if something is received 1 day late it is deemed to be late and sent back. You would have got away with a day up until recently but not now. Not only will this years accounts have to be audited but so will next years.

Call into your accountant on Monday Morning. If this is not the first annual return a set of accounts will have to be sent with the B1. The B1 can be filed online now but I think that needed to be done 28 days ago but check with them.

If it cannot be submitted online then it is worth the drive to Carlow or pay somebody to go for you it would be cheaper than auditing 2 years accounts.

Maybe you could try ringing accountant today they might be working.

Accountants in work on a Saturday!! Crazy talk!

OP if your year end is January and ARD is October I'd imagine your accountant was being very efficient and submitting it early.

You received the letter from them and their effiency is lost on you.

Ring then on Monday to confirm but I'd imagine you will be ok.

Accountant in work on a Saturday :)

Joe if you file early and dont return within 28 days are you ok or do you lose your audit exemption.

Thanks guys, they're closed today. You're correct in that I had submitted my books early and the ARD is October, they submitted the B1 online 26 days ago and I need to get the physical files in by Monday 23rd. What other options do I have apart from hand delivering them? Since my ARD is October can accountant resubmitt online without penalty? I'll drive to Carlow at last resort.

If you file early before the ARD and don't file it with the CRO then it does not exist so no issue.

The loss of audit exemption can be got around by the district court application for an ARD extension but the OP does not need that here.

Thanks Joe, what options do I have now, can my accountant resubmit tomorrow giving me another 28 days?

Back