kids kicking football outside gate.

have to agree with leghorn, 15 year olds can be quite intimidating, I was pretty innocent when i was 15 and seen adults/garda etc as authority figures. Doesn't seem to be the case now - not in all cases of course but a lot.

And I admit it was getting to the stage where I and a few of my friends were seriously thinking about tackling them.

Please tell me this is a joke?

We wouldn't dare treat people like this.

What, threaten to Kill people for annoyingly playing ball? Maybe run someone down in a car? They are teenagers for God's sake, do people not have more to worry about than kids playing with a ball? Have they broken anything? Done any damage? What exactly are they doing that is deserves death threats/getting the heavies around? If they were outside your house doing drugs then maybe you should be worried. Its always the person that gives the reaction that gets picked on by teenagers...its easy to say we dont undertand the situation but I used to be that teenager and I guess alot of other people did too and I have dealt with them kicking ball outside my house, if using a gate as a goal is the worst thing they do during these years then the futures bright...

Maybe you should just sell your house and get away from all the drastic ani-social behaviour caused by this foreign sport, that or just kill them pesky kids, Tarquin sounds like the person with a few friends who arent afraid of a few young lads...sounds like its building up to that anyway..

yes I have to agree, take something that is irritating and caused more than likely by the usual lack of facilities in this country and turn it into something extremely serious with death threats on teenagers and almost running over someone in a car. Is this thread serious? Does anybody remember growing up? If thats the type of advice being bandied around no wonder this country is the way it is..

Your right. People seem to forget they were kids once too. Surely playing ball is not a criminal offence and its keeping kids on the straight and narrow. Would people prefer if they were robbing cars etc?

I had to read the original post to make sure I didnt miss anything...surely there must be some heinous behaviour I had glanced over but no..true enough the crime worthy of advisng death threats/sending around the heavies ..
..uses our gates as a goalpost.
I think you might get some more reasoned answers by speaking to a few of the teenagers..

"Unless you have been there, don't assume you can understand how bad it can get"

As per Tarquin I completely second the above. Its not a simple case of somebody playing football. Do you think these people are responding this way because they have a problem with kids playing football? Its the continual invasion of space and privacy thats the issue. I have had similar experiences in the past and it is torture.

Its easy to say, sure its no harm when they are not constantly hanging around outside your house. When I visited my mam a couple of years ago, there were teenagers playing football outside the house.

I did not see any harm in them so went in. When I came out a couple of hours later, teenagers gone and a huge dent on the bonnet of my brand new 206 which was about 2 months old at the time. The mark of the ball could clearly be seen on the top of the bonnet. I was absolutely fuming. No one was around offering to pay for the damage either.

Needless to say, once bitten, twice shy, no more kids are let play ball in the vicinity of my house, be it outside the house, on the road or even use the trees outside my house as a goal. They are told in no uncertain terms where to go. I would not enter into any crap with them, just ask them what house they live in and suggest they play there. Politely of course. Kids have to play somewhere - let their parents organise that for them. If the parents want to take responsibility for any damage that occurs, I have no problem with them playing.

I had to read the original post to make sure I didnt miss anything...surely there must be some heinous behaviour I had glanced over but no..true enough the
I think you might get some more reasoned answers speaking to a few of the teenagers..

...and did you actually read any of the other posts? - such as kids threatening to put a brick through my window, or kids stabbing people?

This isn't just a once off incident people are refering to, it goes on for months or years. The constant thud of footballs off your car or front windows. Kids climbing over your back wall to get their ball back. On and on and on.

As was mentioned earlier, unless you've been in this situation, it can be hard to understand.

Your right. People seem to forget they were kids once too. Surely playing ball is not a criminal offence and its keeping kids on the straight and narrow. Would people prefer if they were robbing cars etc?
I wouldn't have dared carry on in the way these kids do.

TBH, when you're in that situation, you couldn't honestly care less what these kids do, so long as it's away from you and your property.

I'm with Tarquin and Goggin on this. Had lots of problems with this in our area. I moved out so got away from it. But its definately like chinese water torture. The parents move their kids away from their house because its so annoying. We used to get it all day and even as late as 11 or 12. Ball bouncing off cars, flowers, windows, walls and constant tresspass as the kids get their ball, usally traming over anything in their path. This despite there being a green and a football pitch less then 2 mins walk away. Its one thing if it bunch of smaller kids, but teenagers is another thing entirely. Its one thing to play football or hang around where you are not bothering anyone. But once you do it knowing you are bothering someone and usually it includes damaging propery and tresspass then its antisocial.

The problem certain layouts, especially cul de sacs, end houses etc are naturally atractive to kids and street football. So while there are kids the problem will keep reoccuring. Especially in those areas with young families, as each generation goes through.

Its really down to parenting and being respectful of your neighbours. So if an appeal to the kids and the parent fails I think your on a loser. The local community cops are rarely able to resolve it. If I was stuck with it, I think I'd buy some old cars and park them really awkwardly. As usually once the space is awkward they stop. Perhaps even change the layout of the gates etc. Its very stressful and some people lose the plot completely over it. But you have to be careful to stay within the law, otherwise things can escalate and become much worse.

Its something I'll aways consider when choosing a place to live.

...and did you actually read any of the other posts? - such as kids threatening to put a brick through my window, or kids stabbing people?
eh, if you mean the stabbing by the two 16 year olds then I actually wrote that...and what did you say to the kids to provoke them? Anyway where are we going on here? Have these kids threathened anyone? Did they dent a car? Did anyone say anything about windows? No they ..use a gate as a goalpost.

My advice, get them some nets and maybe even jerseys...a bit of positivity might calm down all the violent tendancies floating around...I guarantee alot of the posters here will run into greater difficulty when their teenage child gets into something more serious...and to think of it, imagine how you would feel if they were your children, kicking a ball in an estate and being threatened with death or the potential of fully grown men actually going to hunt them down and tackle them?

Alot of ye seem well out of touch with the youth of today...

Unless you have been in a situation like this, you cannot understand how annoying it was.
We were in a similar situation - young boys playing football up against the side of the house, ball repeatedly bouncing off the windows, wall etc
Tried speaking to them and their parents but no real improvement, the constant thud of the ball against the house is annoying to say the least.
The most annoying thing is - these kids didn't even live in our estate - presumably they weren't allowed play beside their own houses and on their own green because it was too annoying for their parents.
For any parents reading this, remember that other people shouldn't have to suffer and listen to footballs belonging to your kids bouncing off the side of the house. If you have kids playing football - make sure they play beside your house and not beside some strangers house/property.

And thats my point, would you equate annoying with the need for death threats, losing it and nearly running someone over in a car?

Given the shoddy nature of houses built over the last few years are we to get the balaclavas and bats out everytime a neighbour plays there music too loud and we can hear it through the walls? This is equally as annoying but what can you do if its within the law?

I dont know, i guess people just dont realise the seriousness of threathening somone with death these days - do it to as seriously to a member of the Garda and you'll find out the legalities pretty soon..

"Alot of ye seem well out of touch with the youth of today"

and buying 15 year olds jerseys and nets is?

Maybe in some idyllic areas......

Alot of ye seem well out of touch with the youth of today...
I don't want to be 'in touch' with the youth of today. They are other people's ignorant kids.

My advice, get them some nets and maybe even jerseys...
If that's your advice, you don't seem very 'in touch' yourself. The kids that were kicking footballs against my front windows woundn't be interested in nets and jerseys. They could well afford them themselves, and would only serve to make them look ridiculous in front of their mates.

They weren't really even playing a 'game' - just idly kicking the ball from one side of the road to the other. It's not the sporting aspect they are interested in. I know this because I joined in once.

...Alot of ye seem well out of touch with the youth of today...

I agree with you that people are going way overboard if they go the route of threating kids/teenagers. You have to stay within the law. However the point is this can escalate and people AND teenagers go postal. Its not a small or trival thing. You can see the depth of feeling on it.

Maybe try one of those teenager sonic thingys.
[broken link removed]

The thought occurs to me if mobile phone blockers were legal (and they are not) that would work equally aswell.

I'm not saying that giving death threads to the kids is right but unless you have lived with this situation day in day out, you can't understand how annoying it is.

I for one was glad of the rain all summer as it stops the kids kicking their football against the side of my house day in day out up till 11pm at night.

The kids in my area don't even live in my estate - they have their own (larger green) right accross the road but presumably their parents don't want them kicking ball there as its so annoying and frustrating!

I'm aware they are only kids but as a previous poster said they're somebody else's kids - if I wanted kids outside the house all day, I'd have my own thanks very much.

Parents should be aware where they're own kids are playing and should be aware that other people don't want them kicking ball against the side of their house.

Might I suggest that posters who have not been the subject of this type of harassment keep their sanctimonious opinions to themselves. This sort of thing can wreck your head and being given lines "we were all kids once..." is no help at all. If it annoys you, it annoys you. It doesnt annoy some people.

Try & help the OP with workable suggestions.

Maybe you should just sell your house and get away from all the drastic ani-social behaviour caused by this foreign sport, that or just kill them pesky kids

Actually not doing too badly on the old sarcasm yourself TTV

Wow, this debate has got rather heated! I had the misfortune of living beside a rented property for a short while where the "adolescent" occupants (all apprentices, straight out of school, first time living away from home etc) would party every night, play hurling and football on the green area (to the exclusion of the local children) and treat the residents front gardens as sidelines. Foul language, "boy racer" congregations in the evenings and a host of anti social behaviour were the norm for a good number of months. Life was hell living beside this and I suffered sleep deprivation and stress as a result. I eventually took action (well within the law) and had the gurriers evicted. The self righteous parents of some of the individuals involved complained that they were: "only kids, first time living away from home etc". So what, in respectable society we are all entitled to live as we please, AS LONG AS we don't intrude on the privacy of someone else and their enjoyment of their own home. So what's this got to do with the original post and subsequent thread? Well I too dreaded the summer evening for that time those gurriers lived beside me and I Know the annoyance that reckless and inconsiderate ball games can have on ones nerves! And yes, i've noticed that most of the teenagers who (shall we say) have a little less regard for their neighbours rarely kick ball outside their own house and mam and dad couldn't care less. Rant over!

Back