Key Post: Share options, BIK and huge losses

Tax on options

“. . . what date/valuation would be used to calculate the liability in the case of an option which the recipient chose NOT to exercise?”

The chargeable event is the assignment or release of the option. I think that means that the relvant date is the date on which the opportunity to exercise is lost. So if I have an option which is exerciseable any time between now and 31 December 2004, and I do not exercise, I have released the option on 31 December 2004 and the charge to tax will be based on the market value of the shares on that date.

“. . . does anyone know the BIK liability for share options in a private company? . . .”

The rules are the same as for a quoted company. What matters is the value of the shares on the date the option is exercised or released. The Revenue has a share valuation section which does little else but determine what the value of shares in a private company are at any given date. Strictly speaking this is a matter between the indivdual taxpayer and the Revenue, but in the context of an employee sharee scheme the employer will usually approach the Revenue and get a determination as to the value of its shares on behalf of all the optionholders who exercise or release on a given date.

“. . . Can you clarify what is meant by 'assigned or released'? If I'm granted options that vest monthly over a long period of time, I can see how a tax liability occurs when I exercise the option as I have realised a gain. Are you saying that there is tax liability when the options are granted? Or vested? Or any other time before I exercise the options? . . .”

So long as the option must be exercised, if it is exercised at all, within seven years of the date of grant, there is no charge to tax on the date the option is granted. There is no charge to tax on the date the option vests. There is a charge to tax on the date of exercise or, if you do not exercise, the date of assignment (i.e. when you transfer the option to someone else, where this is possible under the rules of the scheme – it usually isn’t) or the date of release (i.e. you give up the right to exercise the option at all).

“. . . 'exercise & sell to cover' . . . I'm not sure if this concept is covered in the tax legislation . . .”

Not explicitly, but it doesn’t need to be. The ordinary rules cover it.

Suppose I have an option to buy 100 shares at €1 each. The market value of the shares is €5. My marginal tax rate is 20%.

I exercise the option over all the shares. My tax bill on exercise is 100 x (€5 - €1) x 20% = €80.

I immediately sell 16 shares for €80. I am treated for CGT purposes as having acquired the shares at the market value of €5 each, so I have no gain. I use the sale proceeds to pay my tax.

I am left holding 84 shares, which for CGT purposes I am treated as having acquired for €5 each. When I sell the shares later on, this will be my acquisition cost for the purposes of calculating any gain.

share options BIK and budget 2003

Share options will get even less attractive as a result of the budget, now it looks as if PRSI and health levy will be applied after 2004 - not sure how this will work in practise - will be PRSI be deducted at the time the option is granted, vests or is exercised ?

so much for tech friendly tax policies - the 20% CGT concession was so restrictive that very few companies qualified, and now this latest stunt from MacCreevy

I'm sick of tech stocks, options, ESPP, APSS, SPP and all that other stuff ...

Millix

Re: Tax on options

Hi Rainyday

I would not wait until next year's presentation. Any of your colleagues who exercized options in the short tax year, should have made this election by the end of October last. I suspect that if they make a late application now, it would be accepted. You could save a lot of your colleagues a lot of money if you spread the word now.

I think you should also check with the tax advisor about this election. If someone as switched on as yourself doesn't know about it, you can be pretty sure that very few of your colleagues know about it. It obviously was not highlighted.

Brendan

Just got the full contact details from Revenue for their 'options' dept.

The Revenue Commissioners,
Office of the Chief Inspector of Taxes,
Employee Share Scheme Section,
Setanta Centre,
Nassau Street,
Dublin 2.
Telephone : 01 6470710/6716777
Facsimile : 01 6716668

tax on stock options - today's examiner story

In today's examiner there's a story by Andrew Guerin ( [email protected], tax advisor, www.aguerin.ie) that suggests that further changes will be introduced in the budget to the way in which stock options are taxed in addition to the possibility of deferral for 7 years - this is in the context of individuals who have found themselves with a large tax bill and no means with which to pay it - he suggests that further changes are necessary to ensure that such individuals won't become bankrupt. However Andrew draws back from being a little more specific - 17 years deferral ? tax amnesty for tech employees who got burned in the tech crash ? taxation of options at CGT rate .... that would be a good one ...

Edited by ClubMan to fix links.

locked in

Just wondering what happens when, as was with a lot of the tech share option schemes, you aren't allowed to sell the shares for 3 or 5 years after buying them?
In many cases, after this period the shares had bombed so is it still possible that you could be taxed on a gain that you never had an opportunity to realise?

Also how does this fit into CGT, can you claim a loss of the difference between market value at the time you exercised and the price you sold at and apply this against other gains? Or can you only use the price you bought at?

Locked in

If you acquire a share which is subject to a clog on disposal for a period, then the market value of the share is reduced. This reduces the tax liability, but tax is still due. It can be deferred for up to seven years in the usual way.

For CGT purposes you are treated as having acquired the share at the market value used to assess you for income tax. If the value of the share subsequently does down and you dispose of it, that generates a loss which can be set against other chargeable gains (but not against income).

Hi US

Just to clarify this exercize and hold idea. Taking your example:

Suppose I have an option to buy 100 shares at €1 each. The market value of the shares is €5. My marginal tax rate is 20%.

I exercise the option over all the shares. My tax bill on exercise is 100 x (€5 - €1) x 20% = €80.

I immediately sell 16 shares for €80. I am treated for CGT purposes as having acquired the shares at the market value of €5 each, so I have no gain. I use the sale proceeds to pay my tax.

I am left holding 84 shares, which for CGT purposes I am treated as having acquired for €5 each. When I sell the shares later on, this will be my acquisition cost for the purposes of calculating any gain.

This guy owes €80 income tax on exercizing 80 shares.

He must pay €12.80 ( €80 * 16/100) by the 31 October 2003, the date of his return.

He can defer the balance for up to 7 years.

So it should be called "exercize and hold and opt to defer".

Hi US - on rereading the thread, I see that you have already covered this point about selling enough to cover your tax liability in 7 years time

Brendan

Edited by ClubMan to fix ezCode formatting.

I fixed it - you broke it again (posting with ezCodes disabled perhaps) and I fixed it again this morning!

BIK and CGT

If anything comes up in the budget on this then please post it here, this is a very interesting discussion and one that is dear to the hearts of myself and a lot of my colleagues at the moment

On the calculations by US: it is assumed that the BIK is taxed at the lower rate 20%. I imagine most people in this situation would be on the higher rate of 42%, so you would have to sell 34 shares to cover the tax (in fact if you weren't then this transaction would most likely push you into it).

Another issue also crops up and I wonder does anyone have the answer. The origional query was about dollar shares, what exchange rate does the revenue use when no actual transaction has been done back into euros.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to the submissions to the Budget 2003 topic.

Pierce

BIK and CGT

Hi,

The revenue use the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Euro ( depending on the year, via Irish Punts) on the day you exercise/sell.

Re: BIK and CGT

I don't think it's quite that simple Clareman. I think you have a few options. Revenue do publish a rate for each year which can use. Alternatively, you can use a spot rate for the day of the transaction, or the actual rate you recieved.

I understand that Revenue expect you to be consistent from year to year, i.e. whichever method you choose in your first year, you have to stick to it.

Regards - RainyDay

Bik

When the revenue sent me the bill, they used the exchange rate of each day of exercising

Back