Key Post: HSA Hospital Cash Plans

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
Re: re: dental cover

Can anyone explain how this works when you also have VHI? For example if you had mountains of GP bills, enough to have exceeded the threshold of your VHI plan and allow you to claim money back. Do VHI then look at money you have already received back from HSA and deduct that amount from what they will give you?

Have decided to go for HSA anyway as it will cover getting new glasses and will cover some dental treatment I am likely to need in the next year or so. And they'll pay for chiropody and physio or acupuncture regardless of whether you're referred by your GP. Have to wait and get the actual policy booklet to read the small print but so far I've been impressed with their customer service on the phone. And I can start claiming immediately (for everything except maternity) if necessary which is a big plus imo.

Re: HSA / HSF / Bupa / VHI

This is a very interesting discussion lads.
I too am wondering which way to go with health plans.
I'm 37 and a director (so paying reduced PRSI, so don't qualify for dental help etc)
I'm healthy, but smoke, and participate in a few 'dangerous' sports like windsurfing, sailing, diving etc...

I don't have any pressing medical needs, but have a good bit of dental work I could do.

So I was looking at the HSA/HSF ideas as they might pay for the dental.. whearas the others (bupa, vhi) don't ...(am i right?)

But I'm worried that the HSA/HSF plans are not 'real' health plans.. in the sense that they would not cover me for a long term illness ( I dunno, cancer say)... If I did end up in hospital I'd want to be able to have a private room and all that... (but would I end up on a trolley in a corridor anyway?)

So my question is really.. which way should I go..Doing both sounds expensive (Looks to me like 500 a year for Bupa and 500 for, say, HSF) so I'd want to pick one or the other..

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Re: HSA / HSF / Bupa / VHI

HSA/HSF are not a replacement for BUPA/VHI. They have very low cover thresholds, usually a few hundred quid per annum in each category. If you hit a major health problem which generates large hospital bills, they will not really help you. Have a look at their websites and work out how much you'd expect to claim each year - see if it is worth your while.

HSA Hospital Cash Plans

hi all,
need advice from those of you who are currently with HSF. Is it worth it?? Living in Dublin, I am married with 2 small kids, I work full time with sickness cover at work. We have good plans with VHI and also life assurance with critical illness. There is also the med 1 form and drugs repayment scheme from social welfare. Do I need this additional insurance cover?

Back