Key Post: HSA Hospital Cash Plans

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
F

fatherdougalmaguire

Does anyone subscribe to this service? If so, is it worthwhile or am I just as well to claim GP expenses (MED1) at the end of the year?

Thanks

HSA

Yup, best thing since the sliced pan, espically if you have kids.....claim up to limits, half of GP, perscriptions, consultants, dental, optical, etc....I always wind up getting more back than I pay in

Re: HSA (not the Health & Safety authority)

Hi Dougal - I've subscribed to http://www.hsa.co.uk/default.asp (HSA) through my employer. Their Irish/Euro plan (which doesn't seem to appear on their website) offers fairly broad coverage under a range of headings, though the cover limit within each of those headings is fairly modest. I reckoned that with a few GP visits, a few perscriptions and 1 or 2 consultant visits, it would be a worthwhile investment.

However, this is my first year to join, so it's probably too early to say whether I'm right or not.

Raid250, are you subscribed through your employer? Just visited the http://www.hsa.co.uk (HSA web site) and it seems to offer coverage only to UK residents. If anyone has had experience joining as an individual I'd be keen on hearing feedback.

I've also just noticed that VHI offer a similar sounding service called HealthSteps. Need to do a bit of homework on that one.

There is a HSA operation (presumably an Irish branch of an international company) operating in Dublin.

HSA

I also subscribe to HSA through my employer. HSA seems very good value for families, especially as a maternity benefit is available. If you are single, you would want to be pretty sure that you claim up to the limit in three categories or more (e.g dental, optical, doctors fees) before it's worth your while. Just claiming for GP fees wouldn't make it worth your while.

HSA

Yes Father D. I am a member through my employer, they pay part and I pay the balance, which is really what makes it worth while for me.....as well as having a family.
They have 4 options ranging from €2.10, €4.20, €6.30 & €8.40 per week, each option has differing max levels for example option 2 €4.20 -
GP €50, Dental €100, Optical €100, Consultation €230, Physio €270, Perscriptions €50, etc

For Individual plan members they pay 100% of each bill
For Family members 50% of each bill for each member

HSA/HSF

I am a member of HSF, Hospital Saturday Fund, which is based in Ringsend, D4. Benefits are 50% of GP, dentist fees and opthalmic as well up to preset limits. Seems good value as a couple of fillings set me back over €100 last week and €136 last month, so I will get the benefit in dental alone this year and that is not taking into account GP visits.

Slim

HSA (not the Health & Safety authority)

Here is the hoime page of the Hospital Saturday Fund in Ireland.

[broken link removed]

As some other posters have said its the best thing since sliced bread. I've been in it for a couple of years now and I find it brilliant.

It reimburses you, up to a limit, half the total cost of optical and dental expenses incurred by you and your dependents (SP & children) as well as half the cost of Consultant visits.

You also get a payment when you or your dependents are in patients in hospital (even for Day Case Sugery) or also if they are unluck enough to break a bone.

There are several schemes you can join. The more expensive the higher the benefits and the more expensive schemes covers a contribution towards the cost of GP visits.

You can also get the Sp/Partner to join in their own right and you both get a 50% refund of costs incurred. (100% in total) Naturally enough it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.

As someone not covered by the Social Welfare PRSI Dental & Optical schemes just joining the HSF and claiming back for routine dental and optical treatment in my case pays for itself.

You don't have to join via your employer. They are happy to take on people who want to make their own contributions.

It reimburses you, up to a limit, half the total cost of optical and dental expenses incurred

How does it work if one also receives PRSI treatment benefit for dental & optical treatment?

someone not covered by the Social Welfare PRSI Dental & Optical schemes...

Just curious - is this because you're self employed or something?

HSF

Clubman

The HSF will only reimburse you for money that you actually pay out. You submit a receipt to them which is returned with your cheque.

(I'm in the Public sector paying reduced PRSI which does not cover Optical & Dental treatment)

Murt

HSA

I joined it this year too and find it very good.

The only thing that I don't like is that you can only return 3 receipts at a time, so if you let them build up, it takes a while to fully claim back.

HSA / HSF / Bupa / VHI

If a single person (no family) has either

Bupa Essential Plus plan
[broken link removed]

or

VHI Plan B
www.vhihealthcare.com/inf.../index.jsp

Is there any advantage in taking out either of the aforementioned HSA or HSF plans?

Or would either the HSA or HSF plans be "better" than the Bupa or VHI plans (for a single person) ?

Re: HSA / HSF / Bupa / VHI

Is there any advantage in taking out either of the aforementioned HSA or HSF plans?

Yep - VHI has a fairly high 'excess' for their outpatient claims (€250, I think), so the cash plans will cover some of the costs before you hit the excess limit. BUPA covers 50% of GP visits, so the cash plans 'fill the gap'.

In fact, it's possible to make a profit out of a GP visit! If you claim 50% on BUPA, and you claim 100% on HSA (provided you haven't hit your annual ceiling), you get 150% of the GP visit refunded!

VHI has a fairly high 'excess' for their outpatient claims

So do BUPA as we recently discovered to our dismay - something like €220 individual or €440 family policy. I'll have to re-read the rules booklet again but it looks like the no/€63 excess options on the Essential Plus plan applies to in patient care. Just shows - with insurance you have to read the policy booklet carefully before you take cover out. :\

HSA / HSF / Bupa / VHI

Sorry if this is obvious (I'm new to these different plans)

Should the HSA and HSF plans be thought of as an *addition* to the Bupa Essential Plus plan or the VHI Plan B

Are the HSA & HSF not really something which would be taken out *instead* of taking out a Bupa or VHI plan?

(I would be a single applicant with no additional members)

Are the HSA & HSF not really something which would be taken out *instead* of taking out a Bupa or VHI plan?

Definitely not instead of - the ceilings on HSA & HSF are relatively low and would not cover costs of major surgery or a long hospital stay.

The ceiling on BUPA's Essential Plus scheme is c. €6,000 per annum as far as I can make out which isn't a whole lot in terms of medical expenses. I'm coming to the conclusion that health insurance is a bit of a rip-off and not really an absolute necessity unless you need the peace of mind and/or consider yourself to have significant risk factors that may predispose you to needing medical care (e.g. those who smoke or have other risky lifestyle factors, genetic predisposition to or family history or certain illnesses etc.). On this basis I'm considering dropping my cover but maintaining my wife's...

Back