Key Post: geothermal heating system/ground source heat pump

Joe,
I have a heliotherm GSHP and find it spot on, the house is always good and warm and constant DHW.

Yop,

What are your electricty bills like for the heating and hot water, the house i've been quoted for is a 2200 sqft storey and a half, was very impressed with there proposal and when i rang the sales man he put to bed alot of my questions which were going around my head.

Joe

Can I ask what a heliotherm GSHP is and what sort of cost is involved?
Also, if running UFH with GSHP would the recommendation be to also have the UFH upstairs?

m

Mickeyg

Heliotherm is a heat pump, which is of the highest efficency on the market, most heat pumps have a efficency of 400% the heliotherm has an efficency of 560%

Joe

who supplies heliotherm?

Also has anyone used energy masters from Kerry?

they indicate that there system can supply rads but will check iwth them where the extra heat is coming from to increase from the 20 -22 degrees

I remember Heinbloed's opinion on ground source/heat pump and I was in the middle of a new build at the time with UFH throughout and considering the heat pump option.

There was no grant available at the time and I figured €15000 was just too much when compared to the €800 cost of an oil fired boiler at the time.

Now that I'm nearly out of the first winter I'm glad I did go for oil.

My home is approx. 280 m2 with many rooms having 3 external walls due to the design. On the coldest days I would need the boiler running for 4 - 5 hours out of 24 to bring the house to 19 degrees living areas and 17-18 degrees in bedrooms.

My boiler burns 3 litres/hour and in my setup it runs continuously for 3 hours before the return water reaches 60 degrees to cut out the boiler. On average I use 3 - 4 hours max and 2 -3 minimum and project using 10 to 12 litres a day for lets say 180 days. The total cost for oil then for the year is on target to be approx. 1100 euro.

Costs of 700 euro for a similar ground source option as I saw in other posts would only mean a 400 euro saving a year plus a little elec for hot water - say 400 in total. Even with the grant bringing down the cost to 6k or so how can this be a better option?

I agree with heinbloed's comments of yesteryear - plenty of insulation, south facing glazing etc. goes a long way to lowering energy use in the home. Yes oil may go up but then so will elec to power the heat pump as most elec in Ireland is generated from fossil fuels anyway and the heat pump is hardly a green option either as it's running on elec produced from fossil fuels.

Just my tuppence worth.

We are about to build a 2500sqft Dormer and my head is melted with all the different heating options. I've been convinced by every one of them at one point or another but right now I'm leaning towards an LPG Condensing System Boiler/Solar Panels for Water heating and underfloor heating and also a Whole House Heat Recovery Ventilation Unit (anyone have any experience with this?). Anyone got any thoughts on this combination? Thanks!

Hi we're looking at GSHP and UFH for a new build.

We have been told we may need 3 phase electricity to power the heatpump?

The bungalow is large, 3,900 sqft, 900 of which is upstairs. We would like the GSHP to provide hotwater as well.

Does anyone know the size/output we may need and who is the best supplier of these.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Paintpotmen

I think g.s.h.p is a great option but only if you are very well insulated and use heat recovery ventilation and don't have open fireplaces, crap windows etc for heat to shoot out through. If you anticipate large oil bills, then anticipate large electricity bills for g.s.h.p also!

Combine this with passive heating and solar panels and a good conrol system for the whole lot and you're on to a winner.

Hi we're looking at GSHP and UFH for a new build.

We have been told we may need 3 phase electricity to power the heatpump?

The bungalow is large, 3,900 sqft, 900 of which is upstairs. We would like the GSHP to provide hotwater as well.

Does anyone know the size/output we may need and who is the best supplier of these.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Paintpotmen

I'd imagine at that size you will need 3 phase. We have a 3500sq foot house, and are using a single phase pump to heat UFH and all our hot water needs, but 3 phase was discussed by our installer as been an option.

just wondering if anyone out there could explain to me the difference between single phase and 3 phase electricity for the GSHP......:confused:

thanks guys

I think there is a grant you can get for installing this system €5k (I Think)

Is the system on par with oil in actually heating your home. I am thinking of installing in my new home which will be built with Insulated Concrete formwork (Nudura) which they say makes a house warmer. Any opinions?

Question: I might put in a geo pump down the road, but I need to size the ESB connection appropriately, and the ESB have asked me what input load. I don't know ! With a 316 sq m TF house, very highly insulated, I'm guessing at about a 4kW.

Help !

johnjoeville,

I think the SEI Grant will cover heatpump...

Grant assistance is:

- Solar Thermal Space and or Hot Water Heating €300 per m2 (to max 12 m2)
- Heat Pump - Horizontal Ground Collector €4,300
- Heat Pump - Vertical Ground Collector €6,500
- Heat Pump - Water (well) to Water €4,300
- Heat Pump - Air Source €4,000

There is more on the SEI grant at

Both the product and installer must be SEI approved..

Query -Air Source Heat Pumps
I have heard mix reports about Air pumps
Are they better / worse than the Ground Source HP models ?
Very few people have them installed as compared to the GSHP but I read they are more efficient than the GSHP's ? I am trying to decide which to install in a 2800sq ft new build

Vertical Borehole for Geothermal

Hello, I am going to use Geothermal in house I am building early New Year. I am thinking of using the vertical (or borehole) system rather than horizontal (as I would like to keep land I have around house in future in case I may need to extend house). Does anyone have any advice on the borehole system and if it is better to go this way - I heard someone say at one of those house exhibitions, that it is more energy efficient using the borehole method. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Re: Vertical Borehole for Geothermal

you definately get a higher return (COP is about 7 or 8, it is 4 to 6 with the horizontal).
It is more costly to install but then you dont have your ground eating up by the piping.
If the option was available when I did ours then I would have gone borehole

Thanks Yop for your helpful advice - I know it is more expensive (the borehole method) but would rest more easily knowing I wasn't going to rupture a pipe under the lawn at some stage if I was doing rigourous gardening!!! Thank you very much again.

Rigourous gardening, not unless you are driving a spade down 3ft should be ok, you just limit yourself as regards hedging and features etc

Back