Key Post: CGT losses on eircom shares - Key Post

I've had a read through the thread. Its' become even more complicated since Vodafone made a cash back after the sale of their Japanese business.

I would be really happy if someone could tell me the Vodafone share price at which I would break even on my original purchase of Eircon shares ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the recent return of capital by Vodafone after selling its Japanese business count as a capital gain or as crystalisation of a loss ? I think I'll begin my Vodafone investigation with this question.

Also, have most people on this board sold their Vodafone shares already and thus have no more interest in this thread or have they held on ?

I think it depends on how you chose to have it paid - they offered three options with different tax treatments if I recall correctly. I know lots of people who still have Vodafone shares originally acquired via the whole eircom situation. Myself and herself included.

I still have mine. None of my family have sold their's yet either. I suppose we were all hoping that eventually Vodafone would rebound and we would recover our losses. I'd say most people still have them. A lot of people bought small amounts and probably don't know how to go about selling them. Anytime I have had shares like the eircom one's there was a stockbroker assigned to sell them for you.

Does anyone know who would be the cheapest stockbroker to sell these shares?

Moderator note: speculative discussion of Vodafone shares removed. Please read the posting guidelines.

Does anyone know who would be the cheapest stockbroker to sell these shares?

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=432990#post432990

I think it depends on how you chose to have it paid - they offered three options with different tax treatments if I recall correctly. I know lots of people who still have Vodafone shares originally acquired via the whole eircom situation. Myself and herself included.

I wish I knew whether I could offload them all and have no capital gains taxes to pay. I've basically ignored them since I got them , signed up for the dividend reinvestment plan and piled up all the letters in one place.

I'll continue my investigation.

Hi to all
I have tried to follow all the instrucions on this thread in order to file for the revenue and can not make head or tails of it. I dont know how htese things work. So heres my situation I really would love some help, as I recieved a letter from the revenue looking for details for 2001. I bought 1953 Eircom share which cost me £5995.71 of €7612.98 when they floated. I got the bonus shares and ended up with 2030 when the compulsary purchase can through. I got 960 Vodafone shares which I still have. I got €2710.05 from Valencia back in 2001. What do I owe the tax man or what does he owe me. Please Please keep it simple.

You should get professional assistance rather than run the risk of filing an inaccurate return.

Thanks Clubman. I know I should but dont they cost an arm and a leg and what with the losses I encured with the Gov Sale of the National Phone Company I just thought you guys could help.

Back