Just declared bankruptcy - i want to open a new account

Adecco

My sister has just officially been declared bankrupt this week.

Her old account in her bank whom she owed the debts to has been frozen just today (She wasn't expecting this)

She now needs to set up a new bank account in a new bank.
What banks do/do not allow bankrupts set up an account? Does anyone have first hand experience in setting up a new bank account while bankrupt?

If there is problems with it, can she simply not tell the bank that she is bankrupt? Or does the bank do a check when opening a new account?
(How would they even do that? As in...what would uniquely identify her as a bankrupt? Presumably someones name alone is not sufficient?
How does this whole process work?

Last edited:
There is no restriction on opening a bank account whilst bankrupt. There is a restriction on obtaining credit. So the thing to do when opening a bank account is to decline overdraft facilities. PermanentTSB and EBS are the best bets, because they expect you to operate the account in credit. Your sister should just walk in and say that she is interested in a current account that has no charges. Let the bank official then take her through the steps. She is not obliged to volunteer that she is bankrupt, because she isn't applying for credit. However, if she is asked, "Are you bankrupt?", either verbally or on an application form, she would be best advised to answer truthfully and hope for the best.

If she brings her passport and two forms of address, including a utility bill, she might even get her new account there and then. Also, if the new bank offers to carry over direct debits/standing orders your sister should decline this offer. She doesn't want the new bank talking to the old bank.

Hi, i experienced this also (unexpected freezing of account) opened an account with BOI and told them I was bankrupt when doing it. It wasn't required to tell them I was bankrupt, but because I did, the process took a week or so longer to get the account open.
If your sister has money in the account that was frozen, get her to go into the bank and request any remaining money. We had just been paid a month's wages when the account was frozen and were dependent on that money for food etc. the staff at the bank were very understanding and got all our money out for us immediately. Apparently it's an automatic process that kicks in.

Back