Motor Joint or single ownership of a car and implications for getting insurance

invest-or

My partner and I (not married) are going to buy a car together. Initially she will be the only driver, as I don't have a licence. I may get a provisional license at some stage and would then need insurance though.

So as regards insurance, should we put the car in her name, or in joint ownership (on the vehicle registration docs), or is joint ownership even allowed? By the way, I'm only worried about the insurance aspects of this, not what would happen if we split up, etc.!

Would having ownership one way or the other affect us getting insurance:
a) initially, just for her
b) at a later stage, me being added as a named driver

If you are not married then yes it will make a difference to the insurance. On all proposals they ask whether you are the registered owner of the vehicle. And you will have to tell them that you are not. TBH it shouldnt really make a difference. Insurers are just concerned with whether you have insurable interest in the vehicle which you dont really have if its not yours which would beg the question why are you looking to insure someone elses vehicle (in there eyes).

Thanks for that.

But I'm still unclear. If the car is in joint ownership, will this negatively affect HER getting insurance (or ME at a later stage)?

Or if the car is in her name alone, will that negatively affect ME getting insurance (e.g. as a named driver on her policy) at a later stage?

If the car is in your gf's name, then she adds you as a named driver on her policy - there is no difficulty with this, happens all the time.

I've looked at the Vehicle Registration Cert for my own car, and it refers to Registered Owner (not Owner(s)), which would imply that joint ownership isn't permitted?

you cant jointly own a car. There can only be one owner. If you aren't the owner of the car, then yes you insurance a car in your partners name is a problem.

Back