Jobseekers benefit & contacting previous employer

indebtedgal

a friend was asked to bring the following to his local SW office in order to sign on for his stamps.

proof of address
id
letter from previous employer stating when and why employment ended

So he has all this ready to take in later but is wondering will they still contact his previous employer (maybe to complete forms etc). The employer is very uncooperative and he is worried that his claim will be delayed.

I don't think that they will be contacting the former employer once they have the letter. In any case surely there's not much that the applicant can do other than submit the claim and let SW seal with it? Seems odd that they need a letter from the employer - I thought that the P45 contained all the necessary info about cessation of employment etc.?

The letter from the employer is probably required to confirm that the person wasn't let go due to mis-conduct or left the job of his own accord - either can result in a disallowance of the Jobseeker's claim for a number of weeks.

I just got my claim for jobseekers benefit last week and it was delayed for weeks as my previous employer ignored several letters so they went ahead with my claim accepting my reasons for no longer working there and seeking other work at the moment. I was worried about it to but it's just a case that my previous employer couldn't be bothered!.
You will be find, I was panicking aswell but it happened okay for me in the end!.

Back