Job of enumerator Census 2011

just asking, what happens if im not filling out this form? i will, but still ... also i didnt get an envelope so the person can read all my personal details (how much is my rent, when are my children born and where are they going to school, where i am working etc etc)

In the "olden days" there was a gummed flap that you could use to seal your booklet of answers.
Reading that the completed forms that you post directly to the CSO are now returned to the Enumerator is a cause for concern. If the spokesperson that was on the radio answering questions about the Census is being economical with the truth about this is also a cause for concern. What other little details are not being disclosed?

Having worded on a number of Census, that is definitely not the procedure.

If the householder wants to keep his details confidential from the enumerator, he fills out the census form and posts it back to CSO, in an envelope supplied by the enumerator marked "H" on the back. - "H" as in hide.
The completed census form is sent to the relevant supervisor and they put the basic details as to number of male and females in the household on a form H and give it to the enumerator. The census form is not given to the enumerator, nor are any other details of the householder.

In the "olden days" there was a gummed flap that you could use to seal your booklet of answers.
Reading that the completed forms that you post directly to the CSO are now returned to the Enumerator is a cause for concern. If the spokesperson that was on the radio answering questions about the Census is being economical with the truth about this is also a cause for concern. What other little details are not being disclosed?

Did you read the first post?
I really can't understand the paranoia of people regarding the census. Most census enumerators have hundreds of forms to collect and I really can't see them being bothered reading through them all to find out trivial information. From reading over on Boards most of them are finding it difficult to get people at home and are having to make numerous visits to houses/apartments I'd say by the time they get the forms back they'll be sick of the sight of them.

What happens if you cancel your plans to be away, you have not been given the official form and failure to complete could lead to a fine.[/QUOTE]

This is very true and based on the difficulty I am having with the travel company I may not get out of the country at all :(

What happens is that the supervisor will contact the supervisor for the area indicated on form E and ask if you have been counted where you said you would be. If not, the census person will be back to make you complete a normal form.

Sorry Time, but she told me I will not be counted at all, because I am due to be out of the country for the weekend.

Ah, out of the country is different. I was thinking you would be in a different part of the country.

If your travel plans don't go ahead, you can contact census.ie & the enumerator will call back to you with a Household Form & will cancel your E Form

Grizzly - if I had been your enumerator, I would have gone on how likily you were likily to be there - so if morethan likily, I'd have given you a HH form and left you my number if your plans changed so you could do an E form.

If you are out of the country, you are not counted (it is balanced with foreigners who are in the country having to complete a form)
If you are elsewhere in the country, you need to provide the address of where you will be so it can be ensured you were enuemerated at that location.

Re envelopes - if you just post the form back without making the correct arragements with the enuerator so they can follow H form proceedure (ie - Hidden), then it is not know that you want a confidential return so the form is forwarded to the enuerator. Most people who just post it back do so because they are heading away.

If you request confidentiallity, you will be issued with a envelope mark "H" and the supervisor will pass a "H Form" to the enuerator with just the address and the number of males & females, so they can tally their figures. The supervisor subsitutes the H form with the completed form when they recieve back the boxes at the end. I only had 2 H forms and that was what happened.

Not sure about the olden days, but the last Census you definatly didn't have a sealled form 'cos the enuerator has to "flick" through the form to check
- it was filled in in blue or black pen (not pencil or red biro)
- it hadn't been defaced
- it had been signed
- all the people ment to be at the house were accounted for (either under present or absent)
We didn't "read" the form just "flick" to check the relevant bits

As I said before though - we had about 450 forms to collect, I had zero desire to look and find out what age someone was or anything else (at that stage you are tired and just want it all over !!

This is a tough job, please be nice to your poor enuerator who is just doing a job. They are signed up for just about 8 weeks and have a lot of processes to learn and alot of wlaking and knocking on doors to do.

sam h - I didn't get an envelope when I got the form but I want one now so can I ask for an envelope when they come back to collect the form or if I see her in the neighbourhood?

I know you say enumerators don't read the form, but I'm just not comfortable handing out what I believe are personal details to someone at the doorstep.

sam h - I didn't get an envelope when I got the form but I want one now so can I ask for an envelope when they come back to collect the form or if I see her in the neighbourhood?

I know you say enumerators don't read the form, but I'm just not comfortable handing out what I believe are personal details to someone at the doorstep.

+1 and anything could happen that form once it leaves our house.

In this age surely they could have found some way of encrypting each house number & street with a simple ref number on the form instead of the real address, not rocket science I would think.

Hi, I also feel as above and would like to keep the details on the form private. How do you go about getting the envelope? I would prefer not to hand over v. personal information to someone that I don't know but is local. Even upon giving me the form, I felt she was asking for specifics regarding how many males & females would be in the house, (not how many people in total), which I felt compromised my own personal information.

I asked for an envelope to be told "I don't have one with me, I will have to go all the way home to get one" (Blackrock, Dublin). I remarked that this was strange that he didn't have any envelopes with him as I thought I was entitled to ask and could he not have some in the boot of his car, just in case. He said that he would drop one back to me, which he did about an hour later. However. This was just a brown envelope with a sticker addressed to the Census Office. There was no sign of any H or HH anywhere on the envelope?
Do you specifically have to ask for an envelope with a H or HH on it and why are you not offered a choice as in, " I might not be here when you call back after the census so give me an envelope so that I can post it back" or " I would like my details kept confident, so give me the relevant envelope".
I was not made aware about the H or HH system.

Easy way round the problem, stick it in an envelope and send it to the CSO at the address on the form. Mark the top left corner of the envelope "FORM H"

I think the fact the census enumerators have to travel on their own and are not allowed bring anybody with them should not be so. In the interests of their safety surely there should be 2 together.

Hopefully the next census will be done away with, like they are planning in the UK. It's a very costly excercise, but a nice little earner for the form collectors. This is the sort of thing we should be getting the unemployed to do for their dole.

. It's a very costly excercise, but a nice little earner for the form collectors. This is the sort of thing we should be getting the unemployed to do for their dole.

I heard on the radio that for the 10 weeks work the enumerators will get about €2k, that is hardly a nice earner, it's about the same as the weekly dole payment. And for the people who do it by earning money that week they won't qualify for their dole if they were claiming it so it is effectively not costing the state. So not sure why you think it's a nice little earner?

I agree ... I have a friend who is one and the hardest part of the job is to get people to open the door.

Multiple visits fail to yield results. The paperwork has increased since the last census.

As has the cost of fuel.

And .... every unoccupied house, though accounted for by the enumerator, means a deduction in the final payment.

A nice little earner it ain't.

With the recession and no hope of a future for at least the next ten years, the last thing a lot of people want to see is a census form.

Dont envy the enumerators job one bit.

Can someone clarify the procedures regarding Form E. I rang the CSO helpline and spoke with Claire who told me that the enumerator could leave a Form E with me for completion before, on or after Census night.
I spoke with the enumerator who told me that he was not allowed to leave the Form E with me.
Two officials, two different stories.

Back