JA Jobseekers Allowance: Is this right?

Hells_Belle

My husband and I moved from the UK two years ago. He was born in the UK but his mother is Irish; he has an Irish passport (in fact, he's only even had an Irish passport, never a UK one.)

I am in part-time employment. In the UK he was self-employed, and was never on any benefit, but he has been unable to find work here. He went down to apply for Jobseekers Allowence and they are asking what I think are very odd questions like "how did you intend to support yourself when you moved here?" (with a job, obviously) and have now told him to come back with proof of our last UK address. We've moved house once since we've been here; they're not asking for proof of our last address though, but specifically for the UK one.

He's an Irish citizen. We live, and have lived for some time, in Ireland. This is where he's seeking work. How is anything from the UK relevent two years later?? Is there some special process for people in his position I can read up on, or are they just giving him the run around? Or is it possible that he isn't entitled to JA at all?

Re: JA: Is this right?

The question you were most probably asked was "how did you support yourself since you moved here?" This is a normal question when one is applying for JA as it is relevant to the means test that will have to be carried out to decide your entitlements.

The reason they are asking for your UK address is probably to check up your contribution record so that it will be available if your finds hubby works here and then becomes entitled to transfer his UK contribution record to qualify him for JB, which is not means tested.

Believe me, they are only trying to help him, not give him the "run around" for their own amusement! Why would they do that? Perhaps you are slightly paranoid?:)

Thanks for the answer!

Well, I just thought this would all be straight forward - he's unemployed, we're living (or not) on a part-time income, he's an Irish citizen. It's the 3rd time he's been back in this application process and he reported they were quite agressive with him in this visit, so I yup, I am getting a bit paranoid now! :)

If they're going to check back with the UK re past contributions, will this take ages? We're really getting a bit deperate and I'd like to be able to put the heat on some time before February...

And my last question: I have read the extensive means testing information at welfare.ie but I can't make sense of it. My only concern is that we are paying outrageous rent. We got a 30 day notice at our last flat because they wanted to repair the roof and this was the only property we could find that would take us with him not employed. Is paying excessive rent going to work against us in any way?

Thanks!

It's the 3rd time he's been back in this application process and he reported they were quite agressive with him in this visit

What exactly are they being "aggressive" about? If he has answered all the questions and supplied all the documentation, then he should have a decision made at this stage.

Sorry, posted withour rest of peply!

Have you applied for Rent Supplement or Supplementary Welfare Allowance through the Community Welfare Officer (HSE)?

The only way the UK record will come into play is when he works in Ireland and then becomes unemployed/sick.

What exactly do you not make sense of in the means test?

Sorry, posted withour rest of peply!

Have you applied for Rent Supplement or Supplementary Welfare Allowance through the Community Welfare Officer (HSE)?

Our rent exceeds the maximum rent level set for our county so according to what I read, we are not able to get that. Supplementary Welfare Allowance is something we can't apply for until the JA is officially in play, which it isn't yet as we just were told yesterday "please come back with proof of your last UK address" before they will complete the application. We will also be applying for medical cards.

The only way the UK record will come into play is when he works in Ireland and then becomes unemployed/sick.
Good to know, thank you for explaining.

What exactly do you not make sense of in the means test?
I started out reading the Means Assessment info at DSFA/welfare.ie and honestly it is impenetrable. Citizens Information makes a lot more sense. I read this there and it says they will look at all our joint income, which is very little, but nothing about if they will look at our outgoings. I am concerned because the level of rent we're paying disqualifies us from Rent Supplement so I didn't know if it would effect JA.

Download the INOU "working for work" booklet(Adobe Reader needed, I think) from the SW site...its more user-friendly than trying to read the FOI guide! The level of rent your paying will have no relevence to the means test adn therefore won't affect JA.

I might be able to shed some light on this problem. We moved from UK six years ago and had to give all our UK information. The reason they want to know your UK address is because they might want to know if you sold a house, and if so, what did you do with the proceeds. If you are holding the proceeds in an off shore account and not declaring them, (you see my point). Social Welfare will want to see all your UK dealings as they did with us when we arrived. This will include sale of any house and what it was sold for, did you buy a house here etc.etc. to see what if any moneys are left over. If you have money, then you are not entitled to JA. which is means tested. I have to say that Social Welfare are very fair in their dealings so am a bit confused as to your surprise that they would want your UK address. Of course they want your UK address, how else are they going to sort out your claim. It's got nothing to do with being an Irish citizen. You would be surprised at the number of people who arrive from UK pretending they have no money when in fact it is all hoarded somewhere else.

I guess because neither of us has ever owned a house, that aspect never occured to me. Thanks very much!

Back