JA Entitlement?

P

PatrickB

I have recently lost my job.I was self employed .I realise i am not entitled to JB but i would like to know if i am entitled to JA?I bought a house 5 years ago with a mutual friend.We thought that we could sell the house and split the profits and buy our own houses! Unfortunately we didnt do this at the peak! We both share the mortgage and bills.I have savings of around 26k but they are in an account that i cant access until
March 09.Otherwise i dont have that much.What i'd like to know is if i can get JA? I know its means tested etc.Will they check my bank account and discover this money?I cant even get it untill march!
Ive seen this from the Citizens Info Website:

CapitalWeekly means assessed
First €20,000NilNext €10,000€1 per €1,000Next €10,000€2 per €1,000Balance€4 per €1,000

but i dont understand what this means?
Any help would be grateful.
Pat

You can apply Jobseeker's Alllowance which is means-tested and your capital would be assessed as follows:

First 20k: disregarded in assessment
Next 6k: Means would be €6 per week reduction from full-rate of JA (currently 197.80 per week)

If you can't access the capital, then tell them that and the reasons why.

Thanks Welfarite.
Its in a one year fixed deposit account.
I think i can withdraw cash but with heavy penalties.
What if i just didnt tell them about this account?
Would they discover it?
I guess it wouldnt be worth it anyway for 6 euro!
Pat

I would never advise anyone to make a false statement ....that is fraud, pure and simple. The penalties, if they find out, are severe, (including disqualification from future entitlements) not to mention the fact that you will be treated with suspicion everytime you claim in the future and investigated to the nth degree for the rest of your life!

I guess it would be.
It was a silly thought.
Of course i wouldnt!

Back