Issues with cracks in floors of new homes-Drynam Hall (and others).

Re: Subsidence issues in new homes-Drynam Hall etc.

Thing is, it is very unlikely first of all that you will get either the builder or homebond to listen without an expert opinion, and secondly anyone sent by the builder will not be independant.

Thing is, it is very unlikely first of all that you will get either the builder or homebond to listen without an expert opinion, and secondly anyone sent by the builder will not be independant.

That's very true. I just emailed homebond and rang the builder (no answer). In my house there are only 3 cracks that keep coming back. One of the neighbours across the road has a huge crack that's about 2 or 3 inches wide.

Is there anyone out there that has got any joy from Menolly or Homebond about this issue? My calls are going unnoticed too so I'm considering sending a solicitors letter.

I got a reply from Homebond telling me to write to the builders and if I have no response by the end of August I have to send a copy of that letter to Homebond and they will deal with it then.

Memories do fade pretty quickly. A few years back there was bad flooding in Dunboyne and the estates which flooded had bad publicity for quite a while. Thoses houses are still selling though so people don't remember bad publicity forever.

Memories do fade pretty quickly. A few years back there was bad flooding in Dunboyne and the estates which flooded had bad publicity for quite a while. Thoses houses are still selling though so people don't remember bad publicity forever.

Well those houses in Lucan (Finnstown) were all built on a flood plain (well done) as for Adamstown, I am not sure on whether they are sound, but I would imagine being in the general vicinity they may be liable to flooding in the coming years to come.

I can speak from experience of this type of mess.The value of the houses will always be weak following this sort of problem.Dont scrimp on an engineers fee (borrow it if you must), dont trust a builder , dont overrely on Homebond (who owns that)and go for as much compensation as you can .A fixed up house is not what you paid for and it will always be "Fixed up"/sub standard.Be prepared for a hard battle and get a serious solicitor.Good Luck.

Homebond structurally guarantee your home so they should be your first port of call and can be used as an intermediary between you and your builder. Most foundations are 6inch deep with concrete, which has to be dug-up and then samples taken from the foundation below (another 2 feet/600mm). These are sent off for analysis (to UCD/Trinity) and can take about 2 weeks for a response. ALWAYS PUSH FOR WHATS HAPPENING IN WRITING both f

Once you get the results back from Homebond of the sample filling stones taken from your foundation, you may decide to get your own engineer to double-check at your own expense.There is a bit of a process involved here so maybe holding off on the threat of legal action is best for now, because Menolly have admitted responsibility and also if remedial works are not carried out satisfactorily you should then have recourse for legal action. We are home owners ourselves who are one of the 8/10 other homes affected by pyrite in the Leinster area - speaking from experience some patience is key as these things take time and these 2 weeks are builders holidays. Nonetheless dont be deterred and stayon top of Homebond and your builder to get remedial works carried out satisfactorily.Bear in mind that every builder pays Homebond a fee for every house (depending on size) to structurally guarantee your home so there could be a bit of "old pals act" going on. Good luck !!

Beaupark IS deffo effected , so far a whole row has been told they will have to move out as there floors will be dug up , major cracks in there walls also ,they have been told nothing about alternative accom etc as of yet .what a mess ! most people whp bought the 1st and 2nd stages of "beaupark" queued up overnight outside sherry fitz ,what a kick in the teeth

Alternative accommodation, storage of your household items etc must be taken care of by the builder. Its no harm to have a chat with an engineer that you know of and maybe a solicitor. There was an article in Saturdays Herald which advised people to contact the National Consumer Agency with their complaint. I am not too sure about involving more people, could only complicate matters.

My brothers apt is gnd floor and cracking all the way up the walls.... Scary

Has anyone or know of anyone who had testing done received negative results/pyrite level was ok?

Thanks!

The tests of the foundation stones confirm the presence of Pyrite (or not) which then has to be dealt with. Just because pyrite is found say in your kitchen, it could be under other rooms downstairs also and this explains why people have to move out for 3 months - the only way to eliminate the problem completely and stop it re-occuring is to remove all foundation stones.

That's very true. I just emailed homebond and rang the builder (no answer). In my house there are only 3 cracks that keep coming back. One of the neighbours across the road has a huge crack that's about 2 or 3 inches wide.

Wide or Long?

If I had a 2-3 inch wide crack in my house I would not be living in it.

I think what the developer is planning in Drynam park is to use unsold units to rehouse people temporarily while their houses are bing repaired. I presume they'll pay all related expenses.

There are no unsold units in Drynam Hall. There are some units for sale through private treaty and the developer is looking at leasing these from the owners but this will not resolve the issue of temp accomodation if as planned they work on 10 units at a time.

Is this an opportunity for some people to offer to sell back to the developer?

Back