Is there an ombudsman or similar specificially for appeals from SMEs

eileend

Hi,

This is my very first post on askaboutmoney, so I apologise if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to find out if there is an ombudsman or specific mediator for SMEs, that they can approach to appeal to or ask to adjudicate on decisions made by the banks.

Somebody totally independent and impartial.

Thanks
eileend

Hi Eileen

If it's respect of a credit decision, you can appeal to the [broken link removed]

The Financial Services Ombudsman can't hear credit complaints, but it can hear other complaints from limited companies with turnovers of less than €3m, and from sole traders and partners operating businesses, without limit as far as I know.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan.

Yes I'm aware of the FSO but I'm wondering if there is anyone out there whose remit includes all of the following;

To be an impartial and independant mediator or ombudsman to negotiate between the banking sector and SMEs.

Taking into consideration the complex individual factors of each case especially for individuals who are anxious to continue paying down their debts.

Asking the banking sector to acknowledge all businesses that are going concerns and to consider the knock on effects of forced closures, on communities through loss of employment and services locally.

Is there someone dealing specifically with the issues above?

Are you asking about a specific case or complaint ?

Asking the banking sector to acknowledge all businesses that are going concerns and to consider the knock on effects of forced closures, on communities through loss of employment and services locally.

It would not be the function of banks to keep businesses going for the benefit of employment or the community or local services. That is a political issue.

The Small Firms Association would lobby on behalf of businesses in this area.

One wonders whether what @eileend is referring to is the likes of AIB who reject (and reject) again carefully worked out plans... and the Accountants are afraid to highlight this in case they lose other work ..and so it goes.

My understanding is that AIB were at least a few months ago rejecting carefully worked out plans again (and again).

One wonders whether what @eileend is referring to is the likes of AIB who reject (and reject) again carefully worked out plans... and the Accountants are afraid to highlight this in case they lose other work ..and so it goes.

My understanding is that AIB were at least a few months ago rejecting carefully worked out plans again (and again).
.........................................................................................

AIB , will shortly start accepting most half-reasonable plans . The reason is that they now have Taxpayer and Central Bank cover.They will present themselves as reasonable people, not rats caught in a hole..

You guessed it , I do not trust AIB or their staff.

I asked the question ask I was working on a plan to rally people to contact their local TD's to ask for agreement to support and table a private members bill to discuss the following demands.

That an impartial and independent mediator or ombudsman be put in place to negotiate between the banking sector and small to medium enterprises.

2. That the complex individual factors in each case are taken into consideration, especially when individuals who are anxious to continue paying down their debts.

3. Finally that the banking sector will acknowledge all business’s that are ongoing concerns and consider the knock on effects of forced closures on communities, through loss of both employment and services locally.

Naive, I know realise....!!

It's every man / woman for themselves and definitely don't trust anything the banks tell you unless you get it in writing!

Back