Is there an ETF for Irish Equities?

ISEQ EXCHANGE TRADED FUND PLC

But you should avoid it. It's very small and the costs are high.

I am stuck in it, as I have unrealised losses. If I cash out now, those losses are no good to me for tax purposes, which is a general problem with ETFs.

Brendan

Surely that isn't actually a valid argument for remaining invested in the ETF - unless you think that it will progress in the future, should you not get out now?

Hi jpd

I have a diverse portfolio of shares. I am a passive investor, so I don't try to pick winners. The ETF, is in itself, well diversified in Irish shares. So it should reflect the performance of the ISEQ less costs of course.

It's at about 50% of what I paid for it. So if it doubles from here I pay no CGT.
If I take it out now and invest in some other share and it doubles, I pay 33% CGT on the increase.

Brendan

EIRL from iShares (US) tracks the ISEQ - costs are 0.49%. You have to fill out your W-8BEN form (unless you're a US resident) but it will replicate the ISEQ well.

Hi jpd

I have a diverse portfolio of shares. I am a passive investor, so I don't try to pick winners. The ETF, is in itself, well diversified in Irish shares. So it should reflect the performance of the ISEQ less costs of course.

It's at about 50% of what I paid for it. So if it doubles from here I pay no CGT.
If I take it out now and invest in some other share and it doubles, I pay 33% CGT on the increase.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

The fact that it has lost 50% -- does that not make it a great time to buy more stocks now as it's essentially on sale? Also, how has the index fared since you made your post?

Back