Is the Quote section flawed

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by LS400, Jun 12, 2016.

1. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

Not being computer savvy, when replying to a post and I used the "quote function", I some how managed to accidentally hijack the persons quoted conversation and added to it to make it seem like the poster continued writing.

This shouldn't be possible whether accidentally or not.

2. Marion

Marion Moderator

Or do you mean that you were able to edit another person's post within their post?

Marion

3. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

I hit the Reply button on your post and got this:

upload_2016-6-12_16-32-43.png

upload_2016-6-12_16-33-54.png

4. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

This time I hit the + Quote button
    Pressed Insert Quote and got the following:

Again, I would have to type withing the quote brackets to appear to edit it.

I am working from a Desktop. I wonder if you are using some other platform which might act differently?

Brendan

Attached Files:

5. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Can you replicate what you did, on this thread by quoting my post?

If you can't, could you link to the thread where you misquoted the person.

Brendan

6. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

Yes Marion.
    Am trying it again with your reply.

7. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

I don't know what I did different there Brendan, but the post I had trouble with was the reply to Ramiva on the "accident with car and cyclists" tread.

Don't know how to link to this.
    Are you running any courses:)

8. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

9. AlbacoreA

AlbacoreA Frequent Poster

Perhaps I've wrong, isn't this simply about being about to edit quotes as I have done above. This is normal on most forum software I have used.

In fact you have to read carefully what people quote on other forums, as often they deliberately change it or selectively quote to change the meaning of quoted comments.

In some cases they find comments pages back and misquote them with the expectation that no one will go back and check that they are accurate. Though if someone quotes something from a few pages ago its usually a good indicator to check it as they are often being moronic.

PaddyW and Blinder like this.
  10. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

You can read this thread to find out how to post links

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...and-how-to-reply-updated.192079/#post-1418536

Hi LS 400

As Albacore points out, it's a very useful feature.

You have a long post. I have edited it to remove the bits which are not relevant to my answer.

Actually it irritates me when someone quotes a long post in its entirety just to reply "yes" or "thanks" .

I have not come across any cases on askaboutmoney where someone has edited a post to make it say something else. An occasional quote out of context, but that is not the system's fault.

Brendan

11. AlbacoreA

AlbacoreA Frequent Poster

I'd be the same I'd edit quoted to make them more concise.

Also I'd be thinking of people reading it on a mobile etc. Massive quotes are a teensy bit anti-social in the context.