Is "The Craic" really needed ?

Y

YUmYum

Is "The Craic" really needed ?

Does this forum serve any useful purpose ?

Its usually full of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language jokes, many of them racist and sexist, that have been doing the rounds on the net for ages.

It really detracts from the professionalism of AAM to allow a specific forum for this muck.

On the one hand, some contributors and moderators (including myself) expressed a preference for forums such as The Craic not to be included on the site. On the other hand I suppose that now that it's here if you don't like it then you can just not read it (which is the approach I generally take - with obvious exceptions such as this! :) ). I don't think that dropping it would be any loss to the site and, on the basis you mention above, might be an improvement. However you and I are probably (still) in a minority in having that view and as long as that is the case just have to accept it. Some of the jokes really are terrible though... :\

The Craic

Yes, the Craic is needed! I've got some good jokes from it to entertain friends with. We all need laughter in our lives sometimes. OK so some of the jokes - or most of them - are unrepeatable, but everyone to their taste.

Re: The Craic

Hi YumYum

I am often astounded at what passes for humour on The Craic. But it's a bit like the Letting Off Steam forum - if it was not there, the same stuff would be posted elsewhere on Askaboutmoney.

My first preference would be that no rubbish would be published on Askaboutmoney.
My practical preference is that it is quarantined in the Craic forum.

Brendan

Re: Where's Dobber22

Many of the good contributers like D22 seem to have been frightened off by over censorship, I have had my fair share of censorship in the past and probably will in the future, but this is the lighter side of the forum :)

Re: Where's Dobber22

I never read it unless one of the Mods mentions something worth reading.

Wouldn't care if it was done away with.
Don't particularly care if it stays other than it generates traffic which we recently learned costs money, which I hadn't realised before.

-Rd

It really detracts from the professionalism of AAM to allow a specific forum for this muck.
Interesting POV - the corollory of this is that by keeping the muck to this forum, it heightens the professionalism of the other forums.

Why the begrudgery?

Brendan,

There is a bit of an air of snobbery in some of your comments. No offence (which usually means the opposite!) but I don't mean any. I actually agree that 'The Craic' is fairly useless...mainly because it's not used all that much and the jokes tend to be from accountants anyway ;) Getting rid of it might be a good idea. Letting off steam can be quite a good forum sometimes and gets most of the views anyway so why the 'hands up in the air' over its use? You own this site. If you don't want this sort of stuff then delete it...and if people are posting it elsewhere delete them there too! The point is...if you wanted to keep this website solely for financial topics you could achieve it overnight. If anyone complains by opening another post "Where did my blah blah...post go?" delete that too!!!
I've heard these comments from you in the past and fail to comprehend why you seemingly begrudge some forums (like LOS) while at the same time allowing them.

I'm not having a go at you (ven though it looks like it)...I'm a big fan of the site in general.

Sincerely,

Lor.

Re: Why the begrudgery?

There have been some great jokes & links on The Craic - there has been an increase in the level of tripe there though lately - especially this one going on right now....

I don't really think that that particular discussion has been typical of all that has been contributed though.

I say keep it for now....

ninsaga

Perhaps something more refined ....

would be more appropriate for the AAM classes

Rename it 'Arts & Culture'

At least then the poet in our midst would have a home :D

FJ

Re: Perhaps something more refined ....

Jeez, I was about to post a wickedly un-PC (or Pin-C?) joke here... — but I think I'd better keep it to myself! :(

Dr. M.

Re: Perhaps something more refined ....

...Yup! :D

Ah, look, I'll go and post something a bit safer — "man-bashing" humour is always acceptable, isn't it?

Craic

Have to say that I agree with the original poster.

This forum devalues the overall professional tone of AAM.

If you want to view and post Benny Hill type humour, why not try p45.ie or some other such site?

Re: Craic

I don't see why people give out about "The Craic".
If you don't like it, don't visit it, its as simple as that.
Its the same with people continuosly giving out that certain TV programmes are rubbish - if you don't like them, don't watch them!

If you don't like it, don't visit it, its as simple as that.

Perhaps. But one could equally use the same argument in order to defend the presence of other contentious content - e.g. racist, sexist, sectarian comments and the like - that is normally deleted by the moderators. So it's not necessarily the final word on issues such as this.

As the mod who pushed for it in the first place, and in fact as the one who had the first joke deleted on him I feel taht i should make a few points:
1) if u don't want to read it no one if forceing you.
2) now and again there is a good joke, ok it is more again than now but what the hell.
3) it keeps the jokes etc from DAM, which I moderate, double benifit.
4)The jokes are by and large harmless fun.
5) it can aid the spirit of a group to have some where/some time to have a laugh.

Back