Is it worth suing for 500€?

As Ive said before, he can afford to pay!
He owns ( free of debt - he told me some time back) a valuable house from which he operates whatever he does, and lives there. The bill is to him at this address, no known dispute. Its for services provided .Its not within the ambit of the small claims court.
I would have to go the normal legal route, if at all.
He will ignore it till a court summons at least arrives.
He may even concoct a defence.
I would not expect to get paid till the sherriff calls.

So, to summarise again..

a) is it worth my while.
b) how long would this take.

I had a similar situation some years ago. After several approaches they refused to pay. Eventually I let it rest but now 21 years later still regret that I did not just give it to a debt collector who might have collected some of it and kept it. I would be happier if the debt collector had the money. He would have made a nuisance of himself in their business premises. Good luck and there is no price on peace of mind. You live and learn Browtal

Last edited:
Money owed is money owed. If I were you I would go to the Small Claims Court. I, firstly would write him a final letter (register it) asking for payment and letting him not that you do intend to persue the matter legally if not settled. Give him 2 weeks to contact you and the chance to pay up. If not= small claims court, it is 15 euro to register your claim and once registered, the other party wil be contacted and will still have a chance to settle the matter outside court.
Good luck!

Last year a Cavan businessman, who claimed he was owed over £90,000, decided to shame his debtors by posting up a list of names and amounts owed in his shop window.
I wonder how that panned out ? Sounded like a good idea to me !

The amounts may be in dispute. The alleged debtors may owe him nothing. It is not an alleged debtors fault if he will not resolve a dispute. Only the courts can decide. If he has judgements he can name them all he likes, but not before. If he can't be bothered to use the legal processes to recover his money from the alleged debtors that is his problem. People taking the law into their own lands is one step away from anarchy.

Owen Smith (47), from Cavan town, said some of his unpaid debts go as far back as 2002 and he could not put off the payments any longer
So he allowed some of the alleged debts to go statute barred. Well done. I really hope that he consulted a solicitor before embarking on such a name and shaming venture.

Back