Is it ever worth buying back notional service? 18 years at e190k.

Is it ever worth buying back notional service? 18 years at e190k.
It can be. €190k would be tax deductible, so will cost much less in fact. Then it is simply a matter of living long enough to get the benefit. Alternatively, you could open a PRSA instead. Mrs Slim is facing similar dilemma and has opened PRSA.

Buying back notional years

Hi! Slim, thanks for your comment. I was going to pay lump sump, but didn't know you could get tax relief on it. The bank has advised me to open a PRSA but am a little wary as a teacher friend of mine who is 60 said hers is worth much less now. Not keen on AVCs. Don't have great health so living long enough to reap the benefits might be an issue. What happens if I pay all this money and I get sick in service. Does this mean that I get a full pension if I have to retire on ill-health grounds if I have pay the 190k in a lump sum? Will kids get a full 'orphan's pension' if I pay this lump sum? Would really appreciate any advice.

Hi! Slim, thanks for your comment. I was going to pay lump sump, but didn't know you could get tax relief on it. The bank has advised me to open a PRSA but am a little wary as a teacher friend of mine who is 60 said hers is worth much less now. Not keen on AVCs. Don't have great health so living long enough to reap the benefits might be an issue. What happens if I pay all this money and I get sick in service. Does this mean that I get a full pension if I have to retire on ill-health grounds if I have pay the 190k in a lump sum? Will kids get a full 'orphan's pension' if I pay this lump sum? Would really appreciate any advice.

Hi Elaine. I'm no expert on this, but I think if you enter into a NSP scheme and pay up or are paying on periodic payments, if you have to retire early or die, your entitlements (and your kids' entitlements) are based on the actual service plus the notional service. If there are outstanding periodic payments due they will be deducted from lump sum etc. Incidentally, if you pay lump sum upfront, it's dearer than paying periodic payments. I do not know why but asked on here but no one came up with an answer. Search this forum for some threads on this, especially the stickies at top of forum. Good luck.

Then it is simply a matter of living long enough to get the benefit.
There is a bit more than that to it. You also have to consider the risk of whether the Government will default between now and your retirement age. I think Greece just had a 15% cut in public service pensions across the board. Or indeed, a future Government cut just decide to cut pensions unilaterally.

With a PRSA or AVC, you're depending on the insurance company not going bust - a very, very unlikely scenario that hasn't happened anywhere, to the best of my knowledge. You carry the investment risk, but at least you know that the money is there in your name, and won't be pulled away for other purposes.

The bank is probably selling you a product, not advising you. You should get some projections from them, as to what a €190k lump sum invested in a pension now would get you. I presume that you might be best to spread the investment over a number of years to maximise the tax relief. Compare those projects (which have lots of assumptions about investment growth built in) with what the NSP will give you.

Notional service is terribly espensive, very rarely bought.

What is your prsi class and annual salary so we could get an idea of what lump sum and pension increase youll get from the 18 years

how old are your kids, they can only get it upto 22 anyway

Would this give you 40 years service? if so you could be shooting yourself in the foot in relation to retiring on ill health grounds. (If the notional service brought you up to 40 years you mightnt get any added years for PI-Im not 100% sure on this though but it would make sense)

Do you have this money right now?

Back