Is Brexit a godsend for lazy journalists and broadcasters?

W200

It’s a quiet day on the news front so the headlines will read “Brexit a disaster for Irish tourism “or perhaps “Brexit a great opportunity for Irish tourism “. Now substitute the word “ tourism “ for any of the following , agriculture , motor trade , business , construction , banking , exports , imports , and the possibilities are endless . God preserve us but we are looking at days, weeks, months and possibly years of idle speculation about how things might play out.

Not since the Y2K bug ( remember that ) has there been such scope for lazy whataboutery ! I suspect that as a page filler it will soon surpass that hoary old chestnut about whether coffee is good for you or bad for you. :eek:o_O

W200

For some months after the referendum we were inundated with TD's and Ministers advising that Brexit would have a "soft landing" here just like the misinformation the same people bombarded us at the fall of the Celtic Tiger. If I remember rightly, "soft landing" was used there too. We all know that Brexit will not have a "soft landing" as far as Ireland is concerned.

Therefore, it is about time the government came clean with the implications of Brexit. If they believe in the "soft" nature why are they now advising of the importance of the appointment of a minister solely on Brexit? Some businesses have closed down already and Brexit is only nearing its early days. Most of the media are not on the ball regarding Brexit. It's about time they stepped up to the mark too.

I reckon nobody knows the hard implications of Brexit other than some Brits (in Britain) of Irish descent who have our Passport Office jammed with applications for Irish passports. I can confirm also that several of my Brit (Spanish property owners) neighbours in Spain are very worried about Brexit. The Brits can survive without us, but can we survive without the Brits? Trade is the first obvious area of concern followed by tourism. The border with our Northern neighbours will be implemented too, no matter what untruthful rubbish we are being fed. Will we be saved by the EU? Look at what the EU did to us at the beginning of the recession. Our continental friends could not give a whit about this cold and wet island. There's a "hard landing" ahead. I fear for our economic future.

Maybe it's time to start listing the practical things that could happen, for example
  • there will be some sort of a hard border (which will be great for the splinter republican terrorists, how long before a border guard hut gets blown up)
  • quite possibly it will be the end of importing cars from the UK as the Irish Govt could tax the daylights out of it so a boost for the local garages
  • likely to see the price of other UK imports rise, so magazines, newspapers and many groceries will rise fuelling inflation and demand for pay rises

what other things do people see happening?

Food convoys to feed starving Brits. Most of the population there already lives from food banks, but when the Romanian workers go home, these will run out.

Food convoys to feed starving Brits. Most of the population there already lives from food banks, but when the Romanian workers go home, these will run out.

and there won't be Polish food on the shelves in Tesco's either. That was the reason one English colleague gave me as to why he was voting leave

My original point was bolstered yesterday with " Irelands most popular newspaper " devoting twelve pages of idle speculation and whataboutry to the subject . That's about 20% of the newspaper devoted to guesswork . o_O

The Observer on Sunday did what I found to be an excellent editorial piece on Brexit. I believe worth reading.

Maybe it's time to start listing the practical things that could happen, for example
  • there will be some sort of a hard border (which will be great for the splinter republican terrorists, how long before a border guard hut gets blown up)
  • quite possibly it will be the end of importing cars from the UK as the Irish Govt could tax the daylights out of it so a boost for the local garages
  • likely to see the price of other UK imports rise, so magazines, newspapers and many groceries will rise fuelling inflation and demand for pay rises

what other things do people see happening?
people changing to a reddish blue ;)

I think that my original comments are still valid though . That is that lazy journalists , editors and all media use the subject of Brexit as a " page / programme " filler when they have nothing of interest to produce. It is so easy to speculate on how good or bad it will be for any given section of society .
This thread is not about " Brexit " . Its about " All the horse manure " about Brexit . ;)

Most Irish journalists are lazy and uninformed. The best current example is the hounding of Simon Harris over the Childrens Hospital cost over runs. Capital projects are the responsibility of the OPW, Minister of State with responsibility is Kevin "Boxer" Moran within the Dept of Finance. It has nothing do with Simon.

Ah now, you cannot say it has nothing to do with Harris. That's just horse manure to be brutally honest

Most Irish journalists are lazy and uninformed. The best current example is the hounding of Simon Harris over the Childrens Hospital cost over runs. Capital projects are the responsibility of the OPW, Minister of State with responsibility is Kevin "Boxer" Moran within the Dept of Finance. It has nothing do with Simon.
When I see the Shinner's taking the high ground approach and demanding the ministers head I get suspicious. The problem with our system of government is when the Taoiseach is appointed he then picks his chief executives for each department and the interview question, "what makes you suited to run this department", the reply is, "I got 20,000 votes".

When I see the Shinner's taking the high ground approach and demanding the ministers head I get suspicious. The problem with our system of government is when the Taoiseach is appointed he then picks his chief executives for each department and the interview question, "what makes you suited to run this department", the reply is, "I got 20,000 votes".
More like I will not hold my existing TD job come next Election unless I get one of these positions,I just scraped in by a few votes,

Last edited:
The Minister is just the fall-guy for the systemic and multi-generational structural and personal incompetence which is ingrained in the Civil Service. he or she is just a human shield, protecting the permanent government of the country. If sacking then helped I'd be all for it but all it does is take the attention off the real problem and so nothing changes; we are shooting the wrong targets.

The Minister is just the fall-guy for the systemic and multi-generational structural and personal incompetence which is ingrained in the Civil Service. he or she is just a human shield, protecting the permanent government of the country. If sacking then helped I'd be all for it but all it does is take the attention off the real problem and so nothing changes; we are shooting the wrong targets.
Ah but they like being human shields , Ministers love to see people who will be picking up the tab fighting a rearguard action in favour of the cause of high taxes, you get my drift,;)

You trying to blame the minister for rivers and floods a bit fishy now now stop that, Leave the Dam thing alone:D,
The best thing to do is pay dam all tax and it will not affect you,

Last edited:
Back