Irish 52 overseas, no dependents, USD45k to invest

BTC-ETF

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: Can be between 120k-180k (equity element)

Monthly take-home pay 6-7k before considering quarterly equity grants, perhaps another 2.5k each month if there were sold (immediate vesting, but a volatile stock)

Type of employment: Employed in finance (sector prone to downsizes)

In general are you ? (b) saving, yes

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Foreign apt (home) worth €400k with a €340k mortgage
Cash of €45k
Defined Contribution pension fund: nil
Company shares : €30k
Buy to Let Property worth €150k with mortgage of €70k

Home mortgage information
Monthly repayment: 1,800

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
Fixed payable 1,800 (this is 2nd payment in this sum, first being above mortgage repayment)
Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes

Buy to let properties
Value: 150k (cost 150K !!!)
Rental income per year: 12,000
Rough annual expenses other than mortgage interest : Including capital repayment, interest and tax (!), a cost of circa2,000 per year. Management exp of 10% being biggest expense.
Lender AIB
Interest rate ECB+1.15%
what is the term remaining? 10-11years

Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme? Generous local non-contrib scheme will greatly supplement Irish non-contrib. scheme

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Other information which might be relevant

Life insurance: property-based only

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you

I want to think about present and future investments.

BTL not performing although, essentially it is paying for itself and if a neighbouring house was for sale, it has a very good gross & net yield percentage. But it hasn't recovered past its purchase price despite plummeting in value in the crash. Doesn't appear any prospects of doing so.

I could sell and use proceeds to purchase another BTL and perhaps supplement it with my savings (will not consider non-Irish property investments) and was wondering what others thought !?!?

Last edited:
Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme? Generous local non-contrib scheme will greatly supplement Irish non-contrib. scheme
Will you be entitled to an Irish non contributory pension. Is that not means tested.

My mistake. I would be earning the Contributory pension in both countries, based on percentage of working life in each.

Back