Invest in USD

obrienkevo

Hi,

I am looking to buy US dollars. Basically I was hoping to open a bank account in USD (for investment growth purposes) but this does not seem possible.

What are my other options? FX Trading?

Thanks!

some banks allow you to open US dollar accounts, I think AIB and BOI allow you have one. I had one a few years ago with Danske Bank but now no longer. I would not advise "investing" in currencies and especially not now after such a big move already in the euro/dollar exchange rate. The euro was at $1.50 in 2011 now at $1.07 there may not be much more left in it and it could go the other way. I remember in 2011 nobody wanted US dollars everyone was looking to buy Australian/Canadian dollars that would not look so good today.

A USD account can be opened with BoI, AIB, PTSB and Investec. USD rates are low. PTSB offer some of the better, but low, USD rates.

Ensure you get a good FX rate by using an online currency broker and not the banks default rate.

Investing in currency incurs high risk.

I tried opening a USD account with AIB recently (as I am a long time customer) and they said it was for business only - and I should provide a business case if I wanted to proceed. I didnt pursue it.

Back