Intimidation and the planning process

H

Henny Penny

I live in a small village. I have objected to a proposed housing development to the rear of my property. My neighbours have also objected. A decision by the council is due shortly.

We have been subjected to subtle yet potent intimidation from the developer.
His first tack was to get a list of objectors from the county council file and publicly berate them in one of the local pubs.
He then bought drinks for anyone who would join him in his slander.
His next tactic was to inform his employees that if the housing development does not go ahead that he has a list of people (the objectors) who can be held liable for them losing their jobs. This assertion has been doing the rounds in the village ... and is having an effect.
I have to keep reminding myself that I do not live in Sicily and that I will not wake up to find a horses' head in my bed!
My objection is not malicious. I am not anti-development but I am anti-intimidation. I have a right to object and have my objection considered. Why do the property developers think they have more rights than ordinary citizens? What is this country coming to?

Has he done anything illegal? To me it seems to be Irish politics at it's most local level?

His first tack was to get a list of objectors from the county council file

..can one actually do that? I thought that an objector could do so with the right of having their identify undisclosed...

ninsaga

Make sure you let the local councillors know what is going on.

Why do the property developers think they have more rights than ordinary citizens?

Many property developers have an arrogance and a swagger that comes from their association with a certain political
party. Some of them think they're above the law.

Stick to your guns. Don't let them put you off. You are a citizen and have a right to make your views known.

Hi Henny Penny

The planning file is a public document so anybody can read the objections and the responses to them. Sour grapes from developers is nothing new. From my involvement with planning objections I can tell you that at one point it will probably turn from the nastiness to bribery. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't find someway to offer you money or land or some kind of sweetner to get you to withdraw but in a crafty way that you can't do anything about. Stick to your guns. If there are other objectors seek them out and keep each other informed.
Apart from the "safety in numbers" idea, it's handy to have contacts if you later want to apply to An Bord Pleanala as it can be expensive and a group appeal might make more sense.

In any case, keep a close eye on the planning files - there are usually multiples of them in the Planning Office in Roscommon. This office is understaffed at best and documents, including objections, have been known to get "lost". Make sure you keep your receipts and acknowledgements safe. I know this sounds like conspiracy-theory-madness, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Rebecca

Re:

Thanks for all replies.

Yes the planning file is a matter of public record ... which I disagree with. The planning office in question requires full name, address and phone number on each submission which in my opinion is only encouraging intimidation.

As regards local councillors ... not an option ... in the pocket of developer.

Thanks for the tip about the planning office in Roscommon Rebecca ... I see they have installed CCTV recently! It's ridiculous that they are so understaffed ... the decision on the development I speak of was due yesterday ... when I rang Roscommon they told me that the planner had not even read the file yet! Rushed decisions are bad decisions.

If planning was properly administered it would not be up to the public to police it ... as it stands developers/speculators are taking on the role of planners because the county councils are not doing their jobs.

Re:

Yes the planning file is a matter of public record ... which I disagree with.
Would you prefer a return to the old system of secret planning deals behind closed doors with the public excluded? Be careful what you wish for...

The planning office in question requires full name, address and phone number on each submission which in my opinion is only encouraging intimidation.

What do you suggest as an alternative? Anonymous submissions? Does anyone take anonymous letters seriously in this day and age?

As regards local councillors ... not an option ... in the pocket of developer.
I'm just wondering do you have any basis on which to prove this? Maybe they are simply in favour of developing the village? Don't assume (for your own sake) that everyone who differs with you on this is corrupt. Many people (not just those with direct vested interests) are happy to see their locality developed and to see some prosperity come to their area. (That's not to say either that they automatically are right and you are wrong.)

Btw, mouthing off in the pub sounds to me to be a comparitively bland form of "intimidation", at least compared to the black balaclava methods favoured in certain quarters.

Anonymous submissions

Anonymous submissions?

Objections from An Taisce are effectively anonymous since they dont hand out their membership rolls. (nor should they)

I hear Michael Healy Rea squealing about anonymous objectors in this weeks "Kerryman" .

ajapale

submission

Again thanks for the replies.
I think submissions should be anonymous until a decision has been made by the county council.
If a submission is made, it should stand on it's own merit, i.e. because there are proper planning issues that have not been addressed.
If there was no corruption in the planning system, then objections pointing out procedural errors would be heeded and applications would be invalidated. This is not so.
Tommy, one would be foolish to assume that there is no corruption ... when local councillors are also developers there is a definate conflict of interest or at the very least a blurring of the lines.
It is by no means the level playing field that it should be, planning in this country is definately stacked in favour of the developer ... IMHO.

Re: submission

Hi HP,

You could always take a leave from the environmentalists who either set up a company to progress their objections or else set up a "straw man" objector. I assume they give him some consideration for putting his name to the objection.

M H Rea wants to put punitive charges on all objectors outside a 10 mile radius of the development.

ajapale

Submission

When is Mr H Rea going to move with the times ... doesn't he know we're all metric now?

I don't believe in 3rd party objections, as a general rule, I'm all for progress. I do object to unplanned, unsustainable development. If proper development and infrastructure plans for the towns and villages of Ireland were put in place it would significantly reduce the number of objections. As it stands, county councils do not heed their own county development plans when making decisions.

Back