Internet radio

trojan

I recently bought an internet radio as i was unable to get one of my favourite stations BBC 5 live on my ordinary radio. Unfortunately when i dial this station there is a message saying it is not available. Any advice on how to overcome this?

BBC radio 5 blocks certain sports events. There is nothing, in my opinion, you can do re this. You should be able to get normal news on R5 though

Correct, the rights deals they have on some sports limits them to UK only.

Sorry to butt into the thread but as it's Internet radio related I thought it might be the best place to ask my question.

Re. Internet radio ... is a DAB radio the same thing? Will they tune into world wide stations via wifi in the house?

If they do what's the best make/model to buy?

(Now that I've ditched SKY I'd like to listen to more radio .... I'm already paying for broadband so I may as well piggy back off it)

Sorry to butt into the thread but as it's Internet radio related I thought it might be the best place to ask my question.

Re. Internet radio ... is a DAB radio the same thing? Will they tune into world wide stations via wifi in the house?

If they do what's the best make/model to buy?

(Now that I've ditched SKY I'd like to listen to more radio .... I'm already paying for broadband so I may as well piggy back off it)

No, DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast. Its still broadcast over the air, just using digital signals. There arent that many DAB stations.

An internet radio is great. There are so many stations and BBC4 have an extra station with repeats of some of their best shows.
RTE have a station with lots of documentaries. American PBS is always worth a listen.

We have had a series of au pairs from different countries. Its always nice when you can offer them their local radio station in the kitchen.

I have a Roberts, which is very good.

No, DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast. Its still broadcast over the air, just using digital signals. There arent that many DAB stations.

An internet radio is great. There are so many stations and BBC4 have an extra station with repeats of some of their best shows.
RTE have a station with lots of documentaries. American PBS is always worth a listen.

We have had a series of au pairs from different countries. Its always nice when you can offer them their local radio station in the kitchen.

I have a Roberts, which is very good. I am using ordinary batteries as the rechargeable ones seem very expensive and wonder how long do they last. Also from a practical point of view are you in effect limited to the 5 stations you preselect. I use the radio mainly in bed and it would not be easy to select another station.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast. Its still broadcast over the air, just using digital signals. There arent that many DAB stations. An internet radio is great. ......

Thanks for that. I'd have bought the wrong thing and would have been taught an expensive lesson.

When buying a IR ensure it carries the metadata for music i.e. if a station broadcasts the song/artist it will show on the display. Not all radios do.
Revo have a good selection.

https://revo.co.uk/shop/

Also consider the number of presets and favourites available - very handy as IR gives access to so many stations around the world. You don't want to be browsing 100's of stations every day.

Hi JoeRoberts

those Revo radios sure are cool but some are a bit pricey and even those have 10 or less presets.

Do you know of any radios with a lot of presets that also have the metadata/display that you mention above?

These 2 have over 100 presets each, are priced well but I don't think they have the metadata from what I can see
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Radio-Stream93i-Internet-Speaker/dp/B008R8B8QC/ref=sr_1_4?s=receiver-speakers&ie=UTF8&qid=1476953428&sr=1-4&keywords=internet+radio
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ocean-Digital-Internet-WR233-Connection/dp/B01EYIUILE/ref=sr_1_5?s=receiver-speakers&ie=UTF8&qid=1476953428&sr=1-5&keywords=internet+radio

Sorry, it's a while since I looked into them so not familiar on what's out there at the moment.

Revo are a bit pricy but not a lot of options nowadays as many people are just using their phone with a dock.
They have a refurbish sale about twice a year and a Black Friday sale every year so you could sign up to their mail list.
For the metadata, you need to ask directly to the seller. Even Revo, some radios have it and others don't.

For presets, I meant physical preset buttons i.e. you walk up to it and hit button #1 or #2 etc. They all have presets ( like favourites ) but require going through menus.

I have a 12 yr old Logik that is no longer on sale. It has 6 preset buttons. I haven't come across any more than that.
Also have a Revo that has no preset buttons at all and it is a pain to navigate. It has a "Joystick" type controller, wish I never bought it.

Sorry, it's a while since I looked into them so not familiar on what's out there at the moment.

Revo are a bit pricy but not a lot of options nowadays as many people are just using their phone with a dock.
They have a refurbish sale about twice a year and a Black Friday sale every year so you could sign up to their mail list.
For the metadata, you need to ask directly to the seller. Even Revo, some radios have it and others don't.

For presets, I meant physical preset buttons i.e. you walk up to it and hit button #1 or #2 etc. They all have presets ( like favourites ) but require going through menus.

I have a 12 yr old Logik that is no longer on sale. It has 6 preset buttons. I haven't come across any more than that.
Also have a Revo that has no preset buttons at all and it is a pain to navigate. It has a "Joystick" type controller, wish I never bought it.
As an aged slow learner i am having difficulty in setting the preseets

As an aged learner i am having difficulty in presetting stations on a Roberts Internet radio. When i select a station i press down one of the select buttons which i understood would cancel out whatever station was already selected but this does not happen and the existing station continues. I must be doing something wrong!

It won't be long before devices like Amazon Echo or Google Home significantly reduce, if not eliminate this market entirely.

As an aged learner i am having difficulty in presetting stations on a Roberts Internet radio. When i select a station i press down one of the select buttons which i understood would cancel out whatever station was already selected but this does not happen and the existing station continues. I must be doing something wrong!

Hold it in for a few seconds and it should take the new station.

It won't be long before devices like Amazon Echo or Google Home significantly reduce, if not eliminate this market entirely.
Amazon Echo...just looked it up. Now that looks interesting..just say the radio stations name, and it puts it on (uses TuneIn app).

Anyone here any experience of it , in particular using the radio function?

Amazon Echo...just looked it up. Now that looks interesting.

I'm waiting for the Google Home to become available, as it'll tie in better with home automation hardware, and will work nicely with the ChromeCast I have to stream to the TV.

I have one of these and it's great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B0141208EA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477314236&sr=8-1&keywords=ue+boom

I have an app called Radio Ireland with all the stations on it. I also play a lot of music from YouTube on it. It lasts ages on a charge and is very portable and well-built.

Back