Motor Insurer Listing Alleged Accident which didn't occur

Marie

In May of this year I was startled to receive documentation from my insurers, followed by a phone-call, in connection with (alleged) damage to a neighbour's car.

As useful context, the neighbour in question is well-known in the locality as having a vivid imagination and of living off the proceeds of various claims she has brought against former employers for "discrimination" and "unfair dismissal". She has not been employed for over a decade, has draped the front of her house with CCTV cameras, and the local police knock on her door on a very regular basis in connection with the many and varied "reports" she files against people living in this street. She has been a contributory reason for a number of families selling their homes to move elsewhere.

My insurer informed me that this woman claimed I had "hit" her car whilst parking, and that I had also "hit" her car on a previous occasion when parking, and that she "had it all on CCTV".

I denied the alleged damage. I was subsequently innundated by documentation from the local police, filled in all the forms, denied the damage, requested to see the "CCTV footage". These exchanges went on for some time. Though I made full reports to both police and my insurers, requests from the latter for a sum for the repair of MY vehicle (!!!???) continued up to September.

Then at the end of last month I had a letter from my insurers that "this claim has now settled" and to contact them if I had any questions about how the claim affected my No Claims Bonus. This I did, and was told that there was no case, so there was no effect. I have been with this insurer for over 2 years.

A few days ago I received my renewal documents to insure the vehicle for the next year. On the page which is headed "Your Car Statement of Facts" I find that under "Claims/Incidents in the past 5 years" is listed "Driver (my name) Date (of alleged accident) Description "Accident".

Is this usual? Do allegations get listed as "accident"?

Yes. Anythin that gets reported on a motor policy as a claim will end up being noted on a no-claims bonus, even if nothing has been paid out.

Hi Penteb. The alleged "accident" is noted on the insurance document itself as part of my insurance history. If I wish to transfer to another insurer this NON-EVENT which has been declared by both investigating police and my insurer to be "no case" shows as an accident.

I was not involved in any accident.

if you were not involved in any accident, and that the whole thing was a set up or a fraud perpetrated upon you by your neighbour, you should contact your insurer. You need to speak to someone in charge, his/her name should be given to you if you phone them. You do not want to speak with that person over the phone, but in person.

You need to have whatever facts you have and then report the matter to Gardai as a fraud. In your statement to Gardai, you must demand that the matter be investigated.

If you get no assistance, or poor assistance form your insurer, go to the Ombudsman with a formal complaint, especially if your NCB is not reinstated.

I contacted my insurer today and was told that all claims are listed on the insurance documents whether the insured driver has been found liable or not. The chap said there were only three choices on the menu for such reports: "Theft" "Accidental Damage" or "Accident" and the last was "closest". I was told this has not affected my NCB as I have no liability.

I'm surprised! You live and learn..........I always thought only an incident which was the insured person's fault and liability was documented.

Many thanks for responses.

Back