Motor Insurance pays out claim for more than estimate

G

gerrymc

My insurance company settled a third party claim for twice the estimate provided by the third party-the car was repaired at one of their approved garages. I had asked them to contact me before making the final payment which they didn't. I agreed that in order to keep my NCB I would reimburse them if they paid no more than the estimate. Any ideas how I should proceed. Thinking of appealing to the ombudsman
Thank you

G

Just wondering why the insurance Co.was involved if you were willing to meet the full cost of repair to the third party?

Have they given any reason for paying double the estimate? Did this include cost of car hire, perhaps?

As the poster below said, this may include additional charges and not just repairs.
Car hire, assessors fees, hospital fees if there were injuries....
Also, it may be that the initial invoice was for x amount but furthur damage was discovered when the repairs were being carried out.

The approved repairer was probably more expensive than the garage the third party used as they may have been a main dealer and may have used new parts as opposed to second hand parts.

Back