Insurance, income protection, illness?????

mpob

Am going through a broker and have chosen TSB six month delayed payment as mortgage but am totally confused re type of insurance cover we need to get. I am sole earner so defo life insurance for me but serious illness and income protevtion seem very similar. Don't want to end up paying huge amount for something don't need, yet want to protect family. Advice??

By the sound of it the policy you have chosen is Accident Sickness and Redundancy which if I were you would closly look at the small print.

You could consider Permanent Health Insurance which pays you out the sum covered in the event that you are unable to work through accident or illness and continues to pay out until you either go back to work, leave or die. Within these contracts is also rehabilition benefit which covers you if you are say going back to work part time. I am only aware of two contracts on the market, one with Irish Life and the other with Friends First.

Another is Serious Illness cover, which is generally written as a term policy covering you for the selected sum assured during a specified term. This pays out if you are diagnoised with a specific illness detailed within the policy conditions. There are many of these around however the illnesses covered vary but in general they all cover the main ones such as Heart Attach, cancer.

You mentioned that you had a family, I am assuming that you have children. Life cover for your spouse woudl also be important as what would happen if she died and you were left to look after the kids, could you work, if not how would you pay the mortgage.

There are various types of life policies, written on Decreasing cover basis, level basis, increasing basis, and whole of life.

What you need is really dependant on your personal circumstances, hope some of the above helps. Also, check out what cover if any you have with work.

best bit of advice i ever got from my financial adviser was to keep mortgage protection seperate from life assurance, critical illness, payment prot etc.

it makes life much easier regarding to the underwriting if they are seperate should you ever want to pay off mortgage/ transfer to different lender/increase life assurance/health conditions change etc.

Back