Home Insurance if roof insulation is damaged by rain

• Thread starter measurement
  • Start date
M

measurement

Hi,
I have a potential claim for rain damage, and having accepted that the repair to the roof where the rain got in might not be covered (just wear and tear), I asked about damage to the insultation (the room below is very cold now).
The assessor said that because there is a government grant scheme for insulation, the insurance company won't pay for that. I am 'surprised' :eek: by his statement.
I wouldn't qualify for a grant as far as I know (you can't just do part of the roof, and my walls are unsuitable for insulation, and the main roof doesn't need it and there is probably a means test).
Anyone else heard similar? If it arises (haven't had the roofer's report yet) I intend to challenge it.

Hi,
I have a potential claim for rain damage, and having accepted that the repair to the roof where the rain got in might not be covered (just wear and tear), I asked about damage to the insultation (the room below is very cold now).
The assessor said that because there is a government grant scheme for insulation, the insurance company won't pay for that. I am 'surprised' :eek: by his statement.
I wouldn't qualify for a grant as far as I know (you can't just do part of the roof, and my walls are unsuitable for insulation, and the main roof doesn't need it and there is probably a means test).
Anyone else heard similar? If it arises (haven't had the roofer's report yet) I intend to challenge it.

Never heard of that before.

I think the adjuster is chancing his/her arm.

Last edited:
Must agree with Ed54.

Perhaps he meant to say that the insurer would pay the cost of replacement, net of grant. That would be to ensure that you do not claim the grant after getting full payment by insurer. Contact adjuster/insurer again to clarify.

I trust that when the OP says "assessor", he/she actually means "Adjuster". Must admit, i have not heard of the approach that is being suggested and it would seem erroneous by the Adjuster. Notwithstanding that, the OP must realise that an ingress of rainwater through a defective or deteriorated roof in itself is not generally accepted by Insurers as being the operation of an Insured peril within the terms and conditions of the policy. If there was a sudden deluge of rainwater resulting in a one off ingress of rainwater through a defective or deteriorated roof, associated with extremely heavy rainfall, some insurers may accept this as storm or as accidental damage and deal with the internal damage costs. However, more and more insurers will not accept that this is either storm or accidental damage and will refuse to provide an indemnity for the damage. I realise that this is a contentious view and i would stress that it is not a view that i whole heartily agree with. However, as it is the position of many insurers, the OP may not be indemnified for the internal damage.

Back