Other insurance for pupils

H

Heather11

I'm hoping someone can help clarify an issue for me. My query is are primary school pupils covered for accidents should they occur during classtime (in the classroom) if they are not supervised by a full time member of staff? Maybe some teachers out there could help or direct me to someone who can. I ask this question because my daughter will be going into the principals class in Sept and from past experience I know she is out of the classroom at times (understandably busy teaching principal) but should not the pupils be supervised at all times for safety. My child has already been bullied this year and it won't take long for them to realise they now will have windows of opportunity in sept in the actual classroom! My child is my main concern as anyone can understand and the previous history doesn't help. I'd like to know where I stand before I approach the school.

Hi Heather,

Not sure about the insurance cover but I would imagine all children are covered during school times.

You could contact the National Parents Council, they are based in Dublin but provide support throughout the country and they may be able to answer your question or point you in the right direction.

Hope all goes well for your child.

Heather, the pupils are not covered by a school's public liability policy. What is covered though is the liability at law of the school for injury to the pupils, be it physical injury or bullying. This insurance does not rely on a permanent member of staff supervising.

Your concern should be concentrated on what arrangements are in place for supervision of the pupils and the adequacy of such arrangements when the principal is engaged in management issues and therefore not in attendance in the classroom.

Back