Insurance Company do U-turn on Landlord's Insurance

paper-folder

I got a letter from the insurance company the other day about my insurance on a rented property. It said that the underwriter had undertaken a review and decided they were not in a position to offer renewal terms after the renewal date and that all cover would cease on that date. Thanked me for my custom and regretted not being able to offer insurance for the coming year.

Felt fairly miffed to be honest, I had never had a claim on it, or on any other insurance I had with them. Wasn't looking forward to the prospect of looking for alternative cover. Was wondering was this an end of the market that was being squeezed or maybe abandoned altogether? Sounded like another nail in the private landlord's coffin. I rang them so that at least I could get a letter from them to say I wasn't being refused insurance for claims reasons and to get confirmation of no-claims history for the next insurer.

Was very surprised when the agent said they just wanted confirmation that the property was occupied and that the lease was longer than 6 months, which it is. With that confirmed, she said that this will be flagged on the policy and that renewal notice will issue in due course!

I thought it was a very strange way of doing business, has anyone else got a similar letter? Worth making a call if you do. I will still be a bit nervous about this until I get the renewal notice.

Last edited:
Back