Motor Insurance companies not updating no claims years

10one10

Hi there,

I'm currently shopping around for car insurance and have noticed there are a few companies offering discounts for 9+ years no claims, but for all other companies the maximum is 5+ years. This has meant my no claims certificate has been frozen on 6 years, even though I have been driving for 13 years and have never had a claim.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel I've been cheated out of extra no claims discounts simply because the maxium their computer system will allow them to input is 6 years. I'm sure I'm not the only one to come across this, has anyone been able to do anything about it?

Thanks.

I'm not aware of anyone offering discounts for anything in excess of six years. It goes on the max scale, not to infinity.

Just because the drop down menu for number of years ncb goes to 9+,it doesn't necessarily follow that there is any additional discount is given.Is there a website you know where putting in 9 years ncb instead of 6 gives you a different quote .

I'm not aware of anyone offering discounts for anything in excess of six years. It goes on the max scale, not to infinity.

Yes and what if a company changes their max limit? They should be recording your actual no claims years regardless of what the max discount is.

I'm looking at a no claims bonus right now. And it has points on the scale and years claim free. So they do.

I'm looking at a no claims bonus right now. And it has points on the scale and years claim free. So they do.

Ok thanks. So that confirms I have a genuine problem because mine says 6 years claims free and has been stuck on that for years. I'm looking for advice as to what I can do to fix it.

Thanks.

Contact your insurer, explain problem, if their scale is up to 6yrs they cant change no claims bonus letter but ask them to issue you with letter of driving experience confirming your claims free from start date to current date...new insurer should accept that.

Do you have a problem?What insurance company have you got quotes off that will give extra discount for over 6 years ncb?

Do you have a problem?What insurance company have you got quotes off that will give extra discount for over 6 years ncb?

I'm going to compare 9+ years with 6 years tonight to see if it actually makes a difference. If not then there is no problem.

Report back if you find any difference,because my insurance is soon up for renewal and I have 17 years ncb.

OK all, this is a real problem. Allianz give bigger discounts for 9+ years when compared to 6 years. For me it is a difference of €50 and would be more if I opted for more options because each option is more expensive on 6 years NCB.

I am going to have to contact my last 3 previous insurers (if I can even remember who they were) and get letters proving that I made no claims and that they did not increment my no claims years. At least then I can get it up to the 9 years.

This is infuriating! Surely something will need to be done about it, if its happened to me then its likely happened to thousands others. Does anyone have contact details of a regulator or complaints body I can report this to?

Thanks.

Allianz give bigger discounts for 9+ years when compared to 6 years. For me it is a difference of €50 and would be more if I opted for more options because each option is more expensive on 6 years NCB.
Have you just tried the one insurer or multiple insurers?

Back