Home insurance claim

J

jimmyp

i've just completed an insurance claim on my mothers house last week ,the assessor called last week and said he'd be in touch ,
this morning she recieved a letter stating her ins. has increased €130 and pay immediately ,but no word of claim.

"Legalized extortion"

surely if the premium has been paid for the year would they not have too wait till the renewal is due...

thanks all for your replies ,here is an extract from the letter ,you gotta remember this is sent to an 85year old woman whom they are aware has memory problems ,i had to sign for the assessor

"following the recent notification of a claim on your policy your renewal premium has been recalculated which has resulted in an additional premium of €130 .please note your No Claims Discount entitlement has been reduced to 0 years.

Payment

If you have not yet made payment please do so immediately....... "

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
Whenever you make a claim, then when you renew the insurance for next year It will be increased. Not when you make a claim.

thats what i thought ,but we recieved a letter today looking for €130 staright away ,renewal is not till next september.

There has to be another reason such as increased sum insured or non standard construction.
They cannot just increase the premium because you made a claim.
This can only happen at renewal

Is the letter seeking the money from the ADJUSTER appointed by insurance Company, or from ASSESSOR employer by you?

i've re edited my original post hope this helps in solving my problem,tks..

It seems that you have made a claim between the time you got the renewal notice and the actual renewal date. yo uhave lost your NCB. It is a no claims bonus and you have made a claim, therefore you lose the discount. nothing wrong here.

hi ramiva
it appears the claim was put in for the 2/09 and the renewal was on the 3/09.....
timing is everything.

I thought house insurance premiums were different from the car insurance business in that claims dont make that significant a difference on the next premium after a claim??

When an assessor calls, they measure the house to check if the insurance cover is adequate. This may have been the cause of the request for additional premium. Or, it may be that the insurance was inadequate for the potential re-instatement cost of the house (this is the key value that must be insured), and he may have done you a favour, if the claim is large.

Some companies work on a NCB basis for house insurance. Main one would be Hibernian who offer a 30% NCB on houses.

So basically, the claim was made as part of the policy for 08-09 and the policy for 09-10 was paid on the basis of there being no claims. This was inaccurate and now the additional premium is due.

I wouldn't say it was legalised extortion.

In this case at renewal next year your mother will be entitled to a 10% NCB. If they didn't charge it now then they would next year.

Back