Information sharing among life insurance companies regarding mortgage protection

Meme1977

I have seen references in this forum to life insurance companies sharing information on denied and postponed mortgage protection applications. I have also seen the same claim from the Irish Cancer Society. Does anyone have first hand information on this? Just wondering how the insurance companies square it with GDPR obligations.

I have always understood it to be just a register of names as such, not shared medical info but that is from my previous work experience which finished a fair old time ago! Before GDPR anyway!

However now sure if it still exists but it's kind of irrelevant in any case as every form filled will ask the question anyway.

I doubt companies share this kind of private information with other companies. How would they do that, what form would it take? It doesnt make sense to me aside from it probably being illegal (gdpr)

I have seen references in this forum to life insurance companies sharing information on denied and postponed mortgage protection applications. I have also seen the same claim from the Irish Cancer Society.
Like @jim, I'm curious about this and where this was ever asserted on Askaboutmoney. I'm also curious as to where the ICS claimed this?

Tried to post both links but I can't - I guess it's an anti-spam measure.
Yes, it is.
Maybe you can describe the sub-forum and thread title?

The AAM thread is "Contracts signed, but can't get life cover". It is in this subforum. Posts 12 and 13.

For the ICS Google - Irish Cancer society life insurance.

Ok, for clarity...
The AAM thread is "Contracts signed, but can't get life cover". It is in this subforum. Posts 12
For the ICS Google - Irish Cancer society life insurance.
If you make a formal application for life insurance and it is declined or you are offered insurance on special terms this detail is recorded by the Irish Insurance Federation. This information can be shared with other insurance companies.

I have always understood it to be just a register of names as such, not shared medical info but that is from my previous work experience which finished a fair old time ago! Before GDPR anyway!

However now sure if it still exists but it's kind of irrelevant in any case as every form filled will ask the question anyway.
Did the register include details of the fact that a particular person had applied for a life insurance product?

I know that insurers share details of claims via the InsuranceLink shared services (via the the Insurance Ireland). So I guess that there may be some statutory basis for the data sharing that works with GDPR.

Did the register include details of the fact that a particular person had applied for a life insurance product?

I know that insurers share details of claims via the InsuranceLink shared services (via the the Insurance Ireland). So I guess that there may be some statutory basis for the data sharing that works with GDPR.
Don't know what the details of it were, we were just always told that if you were declined/postponed/loaded then the name was on some register or other insurance companies could check.

From 2012? This register no longer exists, so there is no GDPR issue.
The claim from the ICS is still part of their current literature. Given the issues their members would have getting life insurance or mortgage protection then I thought that they may be informed on this issue. So I guess that their information is out of date and that this register was removed when GDPR came into force?

So I guess that their information is out of date and that this register was removed when GDPR came into force?
The register was gone long before GDPR.

However, now when you apply you give explicit consent for them to ask / share information when you make a formal application. For example, below is the wording from Irish Life:

"I consent to Irish Life obtaining information from or sharing information with
- any doctor who at any time has attended me concerning anything which affects my physical or mental health,
- any health professional for the purpose of processing my application or
- any insurance company where I may have applied.
I authorise Irish Life to access and receive this information. I agree that this authority will stay in force after my death"

Back