Independant Assessment of Legal Fees?

B

Blackberry

Does anyone know if it's possible to query legal fees through an independant agent? An ombudsman? Perhaps the Law Association has a process available for those who wish to make a formal query? I've received a very high bill for my case which involved both civil & family law, and whilst the estimation was quite high the final bill has come in @ almost three times the estimation? I would like to know what recourse I have before I approach the firm to reduce the bill. I'd appreciate any info on this as soon as. BBerry

Re: Independant Assesment of Legal Fees?

you should have been given an estimate for the work to be done, but it is only an estimate. however, many people once they have instructed the solicitor also ask for litle add ons, they might not seem much at the time, the odd letter here, the od letter there, phone calls to advise of chanegs of situation and seeking advice from solicitor etc.

You can of course appeal to taxing master, but there is no guarantee that you will get a reduction.

It might be better to approach solicitir, discuss your predicament and try to come to an arrangement.

Thanks for replies. Do you know where do I contact the Taxing Master? How much will it cost? How much of my file will I need to produce? Do they contact the practice directly?

Yes, - I did get an estimate of approx E60,000. I appreciate that it could only be a very approximate as it involved barristers & a very letigious opponent. However, the bill has now come in at E185,000 and I know that that is outrageously high even for a difficult case. I also feel that I should have been advised along the way, especially as it moved lightyears out of the estimated range. Even if they give me a little discount I can't imagine it will come down to anything near fair & equitable - else they would just be admitting that their original bill was a total rip-off.

I'm in the same situation and found the Law Society totally unhelpfull. My solicitor is now keeping my High Court Family Law cost award and the arrears of maintance finally paid to me. They say they are keeping them against my outstanding bill. I had already paid out the High Court Costs and was re-embursed but they are keeping the money. It now means that the maintance award monies will have to be used to pay for a loan if I can get one. So thats Irish Justice so much for Judges protecting Children when the Solicitors bills take money. Indrectly children are having to loose out as it money fro them that is being usd to pay out these crazy fees.

As a practising solicitor, I would like to make a few comments:

1. Almost nobody who goes to court in a family law situation comes out richer. Usually,everybody loses. Everybody knows this, but the reality of adjusting to a poorer lifestyle still often comes as a shock. In these circumstances, it is very hard for a family law solicitor to have a well-satisfied client.

2. If family law were an attractive\lucrative option, more solicitors would do it and price competition would have some effect. In reality, many solicitors flat out refuse to do this work. Those lawyers who are prepared to undertake this extremely stressful work undoubtedly charge accordingly.

3. Undoubtedly, there are some cases of very high charges in the family law area, accompanied by some lack of transparency to the customer as to how these charges are calculated. Usually, the Law Society will be very helpful. I rather suspect that if somebody has found the Law Society "totally unhelpful" then it is likely the case that the legal fees (though obviously a shock to the client) are not out of order. In any event, there are other avenues, such as taxation (which is independent of the Law Society).

4. It is often the case that costs which you are awarded in court will not fully cover your legal bill. This is particularly often the case in family law matters, and there are good reasons for this.

Back