Health Insurance Increasing Cover for Potential Spinal Surgery in Years to Come

Pratch

Been wading through the plethora of policies to identify the best that will cover potential spinal surgery (discectomy) I may need in a few years. The surgery is not expected to be required for at least 2 years so will serve my waiting time for pre-existing conditions before it's needed. I was initially going for Laya's Signify or ILH's BeneFit plans, but am thinking I may need to go a little higher to Laya's Simply Connect to have access to Blackrock and Mater Private (albeit with shortfalls).

My main sticking point is getting clarity about whether such surgery is covered by these policies, as in, spinal surgery of any kind isn't listed in any of the special orthopaedic procedures (that I can find). Is such surgery viewed as standard enough that it is not listed as a "special" procedure, so as long as I have access to a hospital that provides such surgery then I'm covered?

I'm more interested in a plan that provides access to all hospitals in the Dublin area than having cover for day-to-day expenses.

I'm 38 and my renewal is in about 20 days.

Cheers for any guidance on the spinal surgery front.

Fairly complex move and it may well be best if you could possibly find the specific code for the procedure and give the hospitals a call. Some years ago I phoned both Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private and they were very helpful with their advice.

The HIA may be able to help also.

Back