Income Tax on Second Job

Sweet Pea

Hi,

I am in full time employment and pay PAYE/PRSI etc. I have got occasional work the odd Saturday for a couple of hours. It's not every Saturday, just when I have to fill in for someone. So it could work out at 1 or 2 Saturdays per month and it's only literally for 2 - 3 hours each time. The girl I'm working for pays me by cheque into the hand, €70 for each Saturday. She mentioned that you can earn up to €3,000 per annum in this way without having to pay tax. It is very unlikely that I would earn up to this amount as the nature of the work means it is mostly confined to the summer and it is so infrequent. I would like to do everything above board. Is she correct? Are there any tax implications for getting this extra money into the hand? I cannot find anything on the Revenue site.

Thanks
Sweet Pea

There are several existing threads on the issue of having a second non PAYE income stream in addition to one's main PAYE job in case they are of any help? You should be able to locate them by browsing/searching this forum.

Thanks, I've done a search but it just seems to throw back posts from people who want to do stuff like sell equipment in their spare time, activities which would yield way more additional income than I would be earning. The advice given was to set up as a sole trader. If I'm babysitting the odd Saturday or singing in a choir that performs at the odd wedding during the summer etc., do I need to register myself as a sole trader?!

Should I just get a self assessment form at the end of the year and declare the extra income? I wonder where the girl I'm doing the Saturday work for, got the information that you can earn up to €3k into the hand on top or your PAYE full-time employment without paying tax?

Last edited:
Back