Inchicore/The Ranch

The Ranch is not and never has been Inchicore. It is Ballyfermot. It's not quite as bad now as it used to be when I grew up locally but I would have serious reservations about living there, although this may be a holdover from my childhood!

this is my understanding also.

How can Inchicore be in 2 postal zones, 8 & 10?

Easy. Most of Inchicore is i D8, The Ranch is in D10.

This occurs in loads of areas. Dundrum is D14, but the outer parts of it are in D16.

THe old villages of Dublin are not all neatly in the postal code zones.

If you have a small budget, stay away from Inchicore and Ballyer altoghether. Try Cabra, the city end near Quarry Road or the other side of NCR (near Hanlon's Corner). Don't get bogged down in Inchicore or Ballyfermot, you'll never sell the thing in years to come. Those areas did ok during the boom, but you couldn't give away a house in the Ranch back in the eighties or early nineties.
If you want to see how property will perform in really bad times, look back to the years around 1986 to 1990 and learn your lessons from that time. Avoid the Ranch like the plague!

The houses in the Ranch were built about 110 years ago, in the 1890s, for workers of the Great Southern and Western Railway at the Inchicore Works. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the Ranch was part of Inchicore. The deeds of a house in the Ranch will say "Inchicore".

Now, as to what happened between the 1890s and today, matters are suscintly summarised in the following quote from the Wikipedia entry on Ballyfermot:

"The dairy and stud farms in the townlands of Ballyfermot were acquired by the authorities in the 1930s.They were developed into suburban housing estates needed to alleviate the post war housing shortage. This development, along with estates at Drimnagh, Crumlin, Walkinstown in the south city, and Cabra, Finglas and Donnycarney in the north city also provided modern accommodation to facilitate the city slum clearance programs. The first estate was built in the late 1940s at Ballyfermot Lower and was originally called the Sarsfield Estate. The street names reflect this historical theme. The adjacent townlands of Ballyfermot Upper, Johnstown, Blackditch, Cherry Orchard, Raheen and Gallanstown were subsequently developed, and incorporated in Dublin 10."

I know of folks in their 50s, who grew up in the corporation houses along the western parts of Lally Road and Landen Road and manintain that those areas are also Inchicore. Other's would class these roads as Lower Balltfermot. In any event, it's probably correct to class The Ranch as Inchicore. The full address is: "The Ranch, Inchicore, Dublin 10."

I'm from Greystones, Co. Wicklow myself and I live in the C.I.E. Estate in Inchicore, Dublin 8, which is definitely part of Inchicore. The C.I.E. estate is a lovely area to live in, but you won't find cheap houses to buy there.

Regarding Inchicore itself, and what it is like to live here, I love it and think it's a great area to live. Being so close to town is very convenient. The buses are very frequent and of course there is the Luas too. The biggest problem that Inchicore ever faced was St. Michael's flats, near Emmet Road. In 2008 Bernard McNamara pulled out of the PPP that had been set up to demolish the remaining flats an redevelop it. However there are a number of proposals being currently being considered by Dublin City Council. Watch this space !

The houses in the Ranch were built about 110 years ago, in the 1890s, for workers of the Great Southern and Western Railway at the Inchicore Works. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the Ranch was part of Inchicore. The deeds of a house in the Ranch will say "Inchicore".
This reminds me of the in laws' (c. mid 1950s build) house which everybody nowadays would say was in Finglas ("East") but the deeds clearly state Glasnevin.

I was born and bred just across the road from the Ranch. Quite a few years sinse I lived there but I have a lot of fond memories from that time. Not sure if I would be comfortable living there now but there are some great local amenities, especially the War Memorial Park, where I still go a couple of times each summer... just a magic place...can still see myself running around the park as a kid!

St. Michaels Estate is heaven compared to what was on that site before...Keogh Square, which was a filthy, poverty-stricken, rat-infested tenement building and which I believe was still in existance as late as the 1950's...

I was born and bred just across the road from the Ranch. Quite a few years sinse I lived there but I have a lot of fond memories from that time. Not sure if I would be comfortable living there now but there are some great local amenities, especially the War Memorial Park, where I still go a couple of times each summer... just a magic place...can still see myself running around the park as a kid!

Well, I see you have a low level of tolerance for repetition...sorry if it annoyed you, but this was one of my first posts on this forum and I was just getting used to how it worked...come on, let's be friends!

ps I'd better check this post carefully to make sure there are no typos!

Does anyone know what the Thomas Davis St area of Inchicore is like? Is it too near St. Michael's estate? Also seems a bit off the beaten track, but handy for the Luas.

I live in apartments on Thomas Davis Street and have been there for about 8 years. Mostly it suits me for the luas and convenience to town.
I haven't had any trouble particularly. There is no denying not that is not the prettiest of areas with St Michael's and Tyrone Place close by. Just means that you have a lot of undesirables hanging around but I have never felt unsafe. Although I don't come home on the luas in the dark. The Drimnagh stop on the canal - which is the closest stop - tends to attract the lager louts which I don't like to bump into after dark - or before it !!Quite a lot of litter though at times - especially on spa road heading towards Spar.
The houses on Thomas Davis Street have some very friendly residents in them. There is a large development of new apartments opposite them - not sure how they will sell or when they will go on sale. If you are buying, you may need to consider what might become of them.
In the village you have everything you need really - Spar, Tescos, Extravision, chemists, atm's, nice Italian, Black Lion pub is not bad at all and does a nice carvery !!

As previous poster said you do get a few of young fella's hanging about up by the luas stop but i've never had any problems myself either from them.

If you don't fancy getting the luas there are plenty of buses running into town.

I'd also agree about the amenities in the village. And just to add their is a new Indian after opening up and i can really recommned the food there...very nice. Also the new bar Timmy Crough's is a nice addition!

I bought an old terrace house in Inchicore a few years ago and I really love living in the area. There is a great community spirit and the old houses have such character and all within 20 mins on the luas to the city centre. I haven't encountered any problems with anti social behaviour. I really do believe that the area is up and coming. There are alot of house being gutted and renovated in my area and majority are young professionals who are snapping up the houses.

I bought an old terrace house in Inchicore a few years ago and I really love living in the area. There is a great community spirit and the old houses have such character and all within 20 mins on the luas to the city centre. I haven't encountered any problems with anti social behaviour. I really do believe that the area is up and coming. There are alot of house being gutted and renovated in my area and majority are young professionals who are snapping up the houses.

Inchicore has been an "up and coming" area for the last 15 years.

I lived there for 3 years and I wouldn't live there long term again. Anti-social behaviour was a problem, it didnt feel safe after dark (more so than other areas of Dublin), my housemates car was vandalised, I was threatened with a hammer by a group of young fellas, another guy threatened a person on the 51B bus with a bread knife, had a grenade left in the back garden (not joking!), at least 2 murders I can think of, the soccer matches at St Pats can lead to problems if you are lving that side of Inchicore etc.

Back