Incentivised Early Retirement Scheme - Uptake

Tentman

Folks ,

Does anyone have up to date figures on the uptake of the scheme (a) in the Civil Service, (b) Local Authorities, (c) HSE. I know the HSE have suspended all the scemes, but are still accepting applications and processing them up to a point. Closing Date is 18th Sept.

It's been extended to 16th October (ish) in the civil service. To me that says the uptake was a bit less than expected/hoped for.

It's been extended to 16th October (ish) in the civil service. To me that says the uptake was a bit less than expected/hoped for.

And are they still holding Departure Date at 30th November?

As far as I can remember it's by the end of the year, although I do know of one person who's taking it but not leaving until next July.

A circular came round yesterday but I didn't pay too much attention as I'm a bit on the young side for it - I'll have a look at the details today and get back.

The extension of the application date appears to be to get more to apply; if you are 50 by that date then you can apply. The 30th Novemebr is the final date for retiring; it is up to the department to let you go by then, the only otehr option being to defer your retirment by mutal consent to a date within 12 months of that.

(BTW, this thread is proper to Public Sector Pensions forum)

Last edited:
Thanks for all that,Welfarite.

Mods, Could this thread be moved to Public Service Pesions,please.

Closing date is 16th October. Decisions to be made by 9th November. There was nothing about departure date, so I presume it's the same. The figures are to be in by 9th November to enable planning for next years budget.

Folks ,

Does anyone have up to date figures on the uptake of the scheme (a) in the Civil Service, (b) Local Authorities, (c) HSE. I know the HSE have suspended all the scemes, but are still accepting applications and processing them up to a point. Closing Date is 18th Sept.

Please post in the correct subforum. Moved from pensions to public sector pensions.

aj

Does anyone think the scheme will be re-introduced again next year due to the low uptake and the need to reduce numbers? Is there any chance of it being incentivised further?

Does anyone think the scheme will be re-introduced again next year due to the low uptake and the need to reduce numbers? Is there any chance of it being incentivised further?

No chance, I think. It was introduced in the budget as a once-off offer with the threat of future lump sum taxation if not taken up.

Add in Cowen's hints last week that the Cabinet will have to look at Public Service pay levels, and you might have incentive enough for older folk to jump ship in the hope that they will have protected their entitlements. I feel that the Civil Service ,and, as of this morning the HSE, have extended the deadline for applications in the fervent hope that, with all the other negative vibes in the air, they will get a high enough number to bite the bullet (defo not a carrot !!!) to make a sizeable enough reduction in payroll costs.
The chances of an improved offer are small, although the scheme could be tweeked by, say, giving a year or two service to staff who are near max service.

I can see them offering it again next year but exactly as it is.

From what I can see here a lot of the admin grades in the late 50's age bracket went for it.

Note this is only based on the number of emails we've been getting for collections though.

Folks ,

In my office (of about 650 odd) there have been 21 applications for retirement to date, and 9 for the Career Break. Both of these figures could rise.

Well Today is closing date for HSE staff. Mind you it is still suspended, even though they have continued to accept and process applications. Will be interesting to see how they propose to conclude the process if the stalemate extends beyond 30th November. With cutbacks of €800m already imposed on the HSE for 2010, there could well be a raft of compulsory redundancies, never mind the ISER. Add to that the comments of Mr. Lenihan & Mr. Gormley last night and we could be entering a right hornets nest with widspread consolidation in the Public Service.

The closing date for the civil service has been extended to the 23rd October.

Good old HSE sent an email to all staff yesterday evening advising of the extension of the closing date to 23rd Oct. The time: 17.11 - 11 mins AFTER close of business on the previous Closing Date. I'll get banned if I say what I really feel, but dosen't that take some beating !!!!!

Back