Import EV from NI or UK

Frank

I have had a brief look at this

There seems to be some value in the uk for imported EV's

I see a local dealer to me brining in a few Etrons and mercs from uk
They are Not doing this for fun so possibly value in doing it privately.

As far as I can see VRT is 0 for anything I have tried

What am I missing.?

NI looks to be an easier route for private imports. Once the car was registered new in NI or has been registered in NI before 31/12/2020 and stayed there, no VAT/import duty considerations.
Imports from GB are more complicated for private importers due to the VAT/import duty (although there are exceptions to both if you can find a VAT Qualifying car and using the EU returned goods relief scheme).
Dealers are an exception now as they have access to the VAT refund scheme recently introduced by the UK government but that is beyond the private importer (currently at least - or having to setup as a dealer to avail of it).

The VAT refund scheme seems to have been introduced for dealers on the back of the Windsor protocol.
It doesn't help the private importer in ROI as it is not available to them.
Private "importers" in NI are not treated any differently by the DVLA as the car is just having a change of UK address registered. (DVLA are not asking for VAT/import duty documents when registering the change - as would be the case if the same car sourced in GB was presented at a VRT appointment in ROI).
To stop the back door entry of cars into ROI by importing through NI there are additional checks of cars that don't meet the criteria of; registered new in NI or have been registered in NI before 31/12/2020 and stayed there.

Reactions: Leo
Back