Implications of using a personal phone for company use

H

H Beag

Good morning all

I have been asked by my company to use my personal phone for company use. they will pay for my Business calls. However what are the VAT and Line rental implications and also BIK? Any assistance would be appreciated. Do I get the company to pay the line rental if the amount of business calls are higher than the personal ones.
Another issue I have here is that I have free minutes. Surely the boss should pay some of the line rental or????
regards
H Beag

Can you not refuse to use you personal mobile and say if they want you to receive company calls then provide you with the use of a phone. I do not have a company mobile but when on-call or while travelling for company business get the use of a company phone. I would prefer not to have my private phonecalls mixed up with business as don't want my employer to have details of my personal calls and also don't always have my mobile on me as only use it while driving.

People who need to be contacted for work imo should have a company phone unless it is only on a very ad-hoc basis.

It is more for the ad hoc calls. I see where you are coming from about the company buying the phone but i need to have all my arguments in place before i got back to the boss.

I wouldn't be keen on it either.

If you're looking for an argument, maybe ask how will the expenses be reclaimed? i.e. will they want to see an itemised bill? If yes, then I would argue that this is an unacceptable invasion of privacy (the bill includes your own calls as well). If no, then there's some scope for you to add in the line rental, free minutes etc. & at least not be impacted on the cost side.

Suggest that your employer provide a pay as you go phone. That way, there are no ongoing rental charges.

I wouldn't be even slightly keen to have my personal number available for work use. What happens when you leave the company and ex-customers (or ex-colleagues) ring you looking for help or information ?

z

Just to be clear - is the original question in relation to a mobile phone or a landline. It might also help if you explain the nature of the role (e.g. on-call service technician).

Personnaly I would not want my personal number given out to customers or indeed to fellow employees. If the company wanted my to be available by phone then they should provide it.

C

H Beag said:
It is more for the ad hoc calls. I see where you are coming from about the company buying the phone but i need to have all my arguments in place before i got back to the boss.

H BEAG..There are no arguments...The answer should be no..If they want you to be available via mobile phone they should provide one.

I am oncall from work and never use my own phone....

Back