Implement a Swear Filter

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by mathepac, Jan 20, 2017.

1. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

I recently had a post deleted because it contained a swear-word as an adjective to describe my frustration at the use of the word "platform".

Using the swear-word was thoughtless but it was not intended to offend. Because of my thoughtlessness, someone had to report the post, the report had to be read by an admin and action taken.

Implementing a simple swear filter, the software has one I believe, could have avoided all the unnecessary work and reminded me in a very timely manner to moderate my posts. The swear filters I have seen replace the offending (usually) four letter word with a series of asterisks so if "bean" was a swear-word it would appear as "****" as would all its other forms e.g. "****ing", "****ed", "****er", etc.

This was the only time I've had a post deleted in these circumstances, my apologies, and I don't know what a burden swear words place on the admins, but any short term investment of time that has a longterm payoff for them can't be bad.

odyssey06 likes this.
  2. Leper

Leper Frequent Poster

While I can swear wholeheartedly every day, I realise that some do not like swearing, so I don't swear in public and fora such as this are not places for swear words. Sorry Mathepac. If you want to see swearing used profusely look at the forum peoples republic of cork where nearly every second word is a swear.

3. odyssey06

odyssey06 Frequent Poster

I don't think the OP is looking for carte blanche to swear at will... I think the aim is to avoid a situation where a post is reported and deleted because of a rogue swear word. It would be better if the word was asterisked out and the post allowed than to (i) generate ongoing work for the mods and (ii) for the post to be sent to recycle bin.
    Actually, thinking about it, a middle ground would be an alert that does not allow you to post if the software detects a swear word (read from a standard list of such words).

mathepac likes this.
  4. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Thanks for reading my post @odyssey06 Either or. I don't think you suggestion is packaged but I'm sure mine is as part of most of the bulletin-board applications (not platforms, never platforms :)

5. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Posts are rarely reported for swear words. In fact, I can't remember any ever have been. If a moderator sees it, they just delete the post. It's an irritant for us, but not too much work. Except when a poster takes offence and wants to discuss the Old English origins of some words by PM.

Guideline 2:

Absolutely no bad language or profanities
    We have a zero tolerance approach to bad language. If you use bad language, you will get a warning and your post will be removed. We don't allow self-censored expletives either such as f**k or sh1t.

I see f**k all difference between allowing that and the full word. So just avoid them altogether.

Brendan

6. Seagull

Seagull Frequent Poster

Any objection an implied expletive, such as referring to someone as a horrible %*@#&! ? It gets across the strength of feeling, but doesn't give any indication as to the actual word.

7. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Absolutely.

There is no need for it.

You think that is very funny and so we leave it.

The next time I dare to delete a post with an expletive, the poster will object on the grounds that we tolerated them from some posters.

Zero tolerance is the best.

Brendan