If I retire from HSE can I be reemployed by HSE in a different role?

nearly40

I can apply for cost neutral early retirement at 55 from a HSE hospital. Can I be employed again in another HSE hospital in a different temporary/ locum/ part-time job and collect pension and salary?

I don't know if the HSE have any special rules as regards former employees; but in general there's nothing to stop you from working whilst claiming a pension. Lots of retirees do so.

To my knowledge you cant be reemployed as a HSE employee. There are rules across the public sector prohibiting this. I don't know whether they apply this to locums

Yes, you can be re-employed in the HSE if you take CNER but you would be subject to Pension Abatement. Under this, the combined salary for the new role plus your pension payment cannot exceed the salary you would have been on had you remained in your previous role. To the extent that there is an excess the pension will be reduced.

There is a temporary waiver in place since the start of Covid to exclude certain frontline staff from abatement ( https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/resour...frontline-hcws-in-the-context-of-covid-19.pdf.) Presumably this will expire in due course. In any event, it only applies to staff who had already retired prior to March, 2020, so would not be relevant in your situation.

There was an Early Exit/Early Retirement in the HSE about 10/15 years ago which stated if you left you could not be reemployed (by HSE) until 7/10 years after leaving. This has since been rescinded and probably not workable anyway.

There was an Early Exit/Early Retirement in the HSE about 10/15 years ago which stated if you left you could not be reemployed (by HSE) until 7/10 years after leaving. This has since been rescinded and probably not workable anyway.
There was an Incentivised Retirement Scheme for non-clinical grades about 10-12 years ago. No re-employment was allowed under that. I never heard about the re-employment embargo being rescinded.

Yes, you can be re-employed in the HSE if you take CNER but you would be subject to Pension Abatement. Under this, the combined salary for the new role plus your pension payment cannot exceed the salary you would have been on had you remained in your previous role. To the extent that there is an excess the pension will be reduced.
Thank you, very helpful links. I didn’t know the term abatement to search under. I am currently job-sharing. Do you know when referring to “cannot exceed the salary you would have been on” refers to WTE salary or my half salary? Since pension is on WTE I’m hoping this it’s WTE.

I am currently job-sharing. Do you know when referring to “cannot exceed the salary you would have been on” refers to WTE salary or my half salary? Since pension is on WTE I’m hoping this it’s WTE.
I am not certain, but I think "salary" in this instance refers to the salary used to calculate your pension, ie, the WTE rate.

Just a further note. I don't know if you are on full rate PRSI (Class A) or the modified rate. But those on Class A have more scope to earn without being impacted by Abatement - as the Occupational Pension will be lower and any eventual entitlement to the State Pension is not taken into account for the Abatement calculation.

There was an Incentivised Retirement Scheme for non-clinical grades about 10-12 years ago. No re-employment was allowed under that. I never heard about the re-employment embargo being rescinded.
Well said Early Riser - that Exit Deal was targeted particularly at clerical grades and one of the conditions was that people who availed of the scheme would apply for any Civil/Public Service job until seven years had elapsed. Everybody I know who availed of the scheme was recruited by other Civil/Public Service bodies well within that seven years. Therefore, that scheme was not policeable.

that Exit Deal was targeted particularly at clerical grades and one of the conditions was that people who availed of the scheme would apply for any Civil/Public Service job until seven years had elapsed. Everybody I know who availed of the scheme was recruited by other Civil/Public Service bodies well within that seven years. Therefore, that scheme was not policeable.
Hi Leper, I just had a look at the 2009 Circular for the Incentivised Scheme. There is no reference that I can see to a 7 year embargo. However, anyone availing of the scheme was supposed to be embargoed indefinitely from futue employment in the same sector (eg, health). They could apply at any stage to another sector - but subject to pension abatement. How well the sectoral embargo was policed I have no idea.

Just a further note. I don't know if you are on full rate PRSI (Class A) or the modified rate. But those on Class A have more scope to earn without being impacted by Abatement - as the Occupational Pension will be lower and any eventual entitlement to the State Pension is not taken into account for the Abatement calculation.
I’m class D with about 23 years WTE , won’t be entitled to state pension. Not clerical role. Medical Scientist.

I’m class D with about 23 years WTE , won’t be entitled to state pension. Not clerical role. Medical Scientist.
Even so, 23 years should give you good scope for earning without being impacted by abatement. A 50:50 job-sharing position should be fine. And, as the grade you locum in may well be lower than your current grade, you could probably earn substantially more than this, ie, up to 57/80 of the adjusted WTE salary for your current grade.

By the way, you will probably be paying Class A PRSI in any new job. Under current rules a minimum of 5 years ( 260 contributions) at the full rate would probably be enough to qualify you for a pro-rata State pension, when combined with your existing Class Ds (see the section on pro-rata pension for mixed insurance here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...etired_people/state_pension_contributory.html ). Just be careful that in any new role you are getting a weekly PRSI contribution recorded. This can depend on your actual work pattern. I don't know exactly how this works now but a week-on/week-off pattern might be problematic.

Edit: Just to note - if you are moving to Class A in any new role it would mean that your new salary, in so far that it is pensionable, would come in under the Single Pension Scheme.

Last edited:
I also have 187 A stamps (starting in 1989), can buy 260 so need to work 73 weeks paying A PRSI so be eligible for a contributory old age pension at age 66 - I think from what I can find on net.
I can’t see how much buying 260 would cost, can I buy them in one lump sum .
is it a good idea?

As you have 23 years at Class D you only need 250 Class A stamps in total for a pro-rata state pension. You can't just buy these extra Class A stamps while you are still in your current role. If you move to a job in the private sector either now or at some stage in the future you will pay Class A PRSI. If you already have 187 then you only need 73 more. For example, if you took retirement from your current scheme at age 60+ you could still do this.

Or if you leave your current job and re-join the Public Sector after an interval of at least 6 months you will be paying Class A (and joining the Single Pension scheme).

If you leave any Class A employment before 66 you could then make voluntary PRSI contributions going forward at full rate - that is, if you don't qualify for credited contributions. But you must have at least 260 paid Class As for the state pension - credits only count beyond this minimum. Currently the cost is determined by how much you were paying in the employment immediately before application.

250 Class As will only get you a minimum pro-rata State pension (260/2080 or 1/8 of the full pension rate). The more Class As you acquire the greater proportion of state pension you become eligible for. A pro-rata pension at any level is valuable - but I don't think it should be a deciding factor in relation to leaving your current very good public sector scheme.

Last edited:
Some interesting posts there from Early Riser. Anybody working in the Public/Civil Service (or intending to work there) could do worse than Copy & Paste all of them for future reference.

As you have 23 years at Class D you only need 250 Class A stamps in total for a pro-rata state pension. You can't just buy these extra Class A stamps while you are still in your current role. If you move to a job in the private sector either now or at some stage in the future you will pay Class A PRSI. If you already have 187 then you only need 73 more. For example, if you took retirement from your current scheme at age 60+ you could still do this.

Or if you leave your current job and re-join the Public Sector after an interval of at least 6 months you will be paying Class A (and joining the Single Pension scheme).

If you leave any Class A employment before 66 you could then make voluntary PRSI contributions going forward at full rate - that is, if you don't qualify for credited contributions. But you must have at least 260 paid Class As for the state pension - credits only count beyond this minimum. Currently the cost is determined by how much you were paying in the employment immediately before application.

250 Class As will only get you a minimum pro-rata State pension (260/2080 or 1/8 of the full pension rate). The more Class As you acquire the greater proportion of state pension you become eligible for. A pro-rata pension at any level is valuable - but I don't think it should be a deciding factor in relation to leaving your current very good public sector scheme.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is a much better explanation than anything I could find. I realise I’m in a very good scheme but life is just too short to continue in a job that has become fairly soul destroying & chaotic. I was surprised I had 187 stamps (from locum work pre permanent position) and I‘m just trying to work out how to benefit from them.

You could register with one of the HSE agencies or work in private labs.

Back